Trotting horse animation (again)

Started by
3 comments, last by sunandshadow 12 years, 11 months ago
Finally found time and energy to make some revisions to the trotting horse I've been working on. So, now I need suggestions for new revisions to make. In particular, do you all think the head motion is synched properly with the rest of the run, or is it off by one frame? :unsure:
green trotting horse version 3

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Hi!

Youtube is becoming more and more a vital part of almost any kind of research. Take this video comment I found there for instance:

source
Great animation, but I have one quick critique. I used to ride horses, so I noticed it.
When a horse trots, the animal's neck and head shouldn't move. If? the horse's head is bobbing, it means one of it's legs hurts, so maybe keep that in mind. Other than that tiny detail, beautiful animation, five stars for sure! :D[[/quote]

It seems to hold some truth!

Nice horse, keep it up! :)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Very nice, I like the "disjointed" style. But the head moves way to much, I think the horse would get a concussion if it ran like that for more than a few seconds. wink.gif Also, remember that the reins and the "steering bit" (the bridle, right word?) goes in the horses mouth. If the head moved that much back and forth the bridle would jerk on the horses mouth, which would likely be extremely painful.

Another minor detail, I think the front legs lift up and bend to much, it almost seems like a caricature of a horse. But again, it could be a show horse... It's a little thing.

Good work, though. Keep it up.
Thanks for the feedback! :) I did want the horse's motions to be a bit "larger than life", as much prancing as trotting. But, it does look like the head movement is still too much. So I'll tone that down. Maybe later I can have the horse toss its head every 4 or 5 walk cycles, or randomly.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

trotting horse version 4
Okay, I'm pretty happy with this now - somewhat less head motion but still enough to have some personality, and I messed with the tail placement and the furthest-back position of the foreleg. The base of the throat wanders a bit so I should fix that quick. Then I'll move on to start experimenting with the mane, tail, and/shading. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement