[web] Exe on a web page?

Started by
6 comments, last by touch_the_sky 12 years, 10 months ago
I basically am trying to figure out my best route to go, this of course depends if you can run an exe on a web page or not. I want to run my own calculator on say a school website. The way I see it I have a few options;

1. Have a download link for the exe(not favorable)

2. Make the same program only in java or flash so it could run strait off a web page.(Learning a bit of another language also not favorable but wouldn't be hard or bad)

3. Run the exe strait on the web page.

4. Cry in a corner

5. Rewrite it in HTML (Really unfavorable almost more than the download link)
Advertisement
- You can't run an exe file on a web page. (you could run it as a cgi on the web-server but that doesn't seem like what you're looking for).
- Your best chance is to make a java applet. or a flash swf, or dynamic HTML maybe?.
- Never cry in a corner. You won't be able to run when people come to hit you.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Take a look at Google's Native Client (NaCl) project, it's exactly what you want. Only runs on Chrome, though, and would probably require about the same effort as the Java/Flash option.
You could always write a browser plugin. Firebreath is a great framework for writing cross-platform plugins that work with all the major browsers.
[size="1"]
Thanks everyone for the responses, what does writing the pluggin entail? If I could do it in c++ it'd be prefered. I really want to avoid going into another language, even though it wouldn't be that hard.

Thanks everyone for the responses, what does writing the pluggin entail? If I could do it in c++ it'd be prefered. I really want to avoid going into another language, even though it wouldn't be that hard.

Essentially, you write a dll which the browser loads when it sees a certain tag or runs a special bit of javascript . For IE writing this dll involves ActiveX. For most other browsers, NPAPI. Firebreath is a framework that let's you do both in one.

Whichever you choose, you'll need to (at least) fill in stuff to handle drawing, input, resizing, etc.

Hopefully that gives you some stuff to google wink.gif
[size="1"]
XD, Self-teaching these things is so tedious, wish I would have been round for the online lesson things in the forums.
I want to run my own calculator on say a school website.[/quote]

Just for that you'll be fine with js (no chess-supercomputer style calculations needed I suppose?), there was a working js calculator posted here by someone not that long ago

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement