d3d12 Features?

Started by
19 comments, last by MJP 9 years, 7 months ago
Also, "program them properly"? What on earth does that mean? Frankly classes are a very poor method to describe shaders which are, at their heart, functional operations.[/quote]

So, in short;
- OOP is not 'correct programming'
- OOP is not right for all situations and shouldn't be applied as such.
[/quote]

Yes on so many levels, OOP has it's uses and you should know but it's not the best way to program everything. For something like shaders functional programming (as a paradigm) is a much better fit.
I highly highly suggest everybody learns a functional language (Haskel, F#, OCaml) it adds a whole new arsenal of tools to your programming mindset even if you never use that actual language again.
Advertisement

[quote name='Asesh' timestamp='1306552038' post='4816654']
The next XBox will use Direct3D 12? I was guessing it will use Direct3D 11. Any info guys?

considering the current consoles still are expected to be the norm for five more years... I don't see why d3d12 or 13 couldn't be possible, other than the fact that nintendo and sony have already announced that they are developing the new consoles already, meaning they are going to be using hardware from now, and not future hardware.
[/quote]

That's not necessarily true - consoles typically use advanced hardware during development, so there isn't any reason that the next console would use one version over the other. As I mentioned above, there is no information on the topic but I would assume that the PC/XBox similarities (i.e. using Direct3D) will remain in the next generation as well. Of course this only applies to XBox, since I am fairly sure Sony and Nintendo won't be using the Microsoft specific rendering API :)

I haven't found any announcement for d3d12, but I am wondering what new features might come. I'm guessing a version of d3d12 will be used on the next xbox, just like a version of d3d9 is used on the current xbox. What new hardware features would you like to see in d3d12 capable hardware?

Three things I would like to see available in dx12 are:

1) The ability to launch threads from within a shader. This would allow custom rasterization methods, multi level data structure processing etc

2) Proper resource arrays, for example the ability to index into arrays of samplers and textures. (currently texture arrays are limited to groups of identical textures which are allocated in one go, eg I want a texture array with many textures of varying dimensions allocated at different times).

3) The ability to dynamically allocate memory within a shader, even if this is a slow operation(perhaps implimented with an interupt passed to the driver) it would enable dynamically sized data structures. I am under the impression that this is already exposed in CUDA 4 but not D3D.

Here is a recent presentation about D3D12's new rendering features:

http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-01-20-72/8463.Direct3D-12-_2D00_-New-Rendering-Features.pptx

wait, when they published it??? huh.png

volumetric tiled resources Q____Q this give me insane thoughts about how force IHVs to release 384-512 GPUs only laugh.png

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

The next XBox will use Direct3D 12? I was guessing it will use Direct3D 11. Any info guys?

actually, direct3d 12 doesn't need any new hardware from direct3d 11, so as long as the xbox now can support direct3d 11, it can support direct3d 12~

A new feature level probably will be added since D3D11.3 and D3D12 add some new rendering features...

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"

This thread is from 2011. I thought it wasn't even possible to necro threads anymore?

oh wow! i did not even notice that, haha. i was wondering why someone made a new thread when theres a pretty popular one about pretty much the same thing a couple threads down

I didn't notice it too ç__ç

It's all wil_'s fault! laugh.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement