Sign in to follow this  

Getting .fx compilation warnings ?

This topic is 2393 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

What's the best way to get compilation warnings for my effects files ? In my game I'll be using D3DXCreateEffectFromFile() and I want to make sure my .fx files have no warnings (like truncation of vector, etc.) I tried looking at the passed ID3DXBuffer but it seems like it's not filled when there isn't an actual error.

Thanks.

Don't compile the shader at runtime, use the FXC.exe utility in the DirectX SDK to create a precompilled shader file (.fxo) and read warnings and errors from it's output.

Have you tried specifying the "treat warnings as errors" flag. I can't remember what it is called but I'm pretty sure it exists. That should give you an error if there's a warning and that would probably fill the error buffer.

[quote name='pekarn' timestamp='1306619917' post='4816937']
Have you tried specifying the "treat warnings as errors" flag. I can't remember what it is called but I'm pretty sure it exists. That should give you an error if there's a warning and that would probably fill the error buffer.
[/quote]

You could use NVIDIA FX Composer, just start a new FX file, hit compile, and it'll output errors and warning for you.

This topic is 2393 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.