Definition of Fake Difficulty

Started by
2 comments, last by Acharis 12 years, 11 months ago
What is the correct definition of Fake Difficulty (search google)? I've read several articles on the net and many have conflicting statements or they contain bias. Some even use it to slam one game style over the other.

Advertisement
So, you're saying that you believe that the term "Fake Difficulty" must be a universally-recognized term, with everyone who uses that term agreeing to a single definition?

That's like (for instance) the word "game." Or the term "gameplay" (or "game play").

First step: understand that a phrase or term may sometimes exist without a universally-agreed-upon definition.

Consider also that a term may sometimes have multiple context-sensitive meanings.

In other words, the term or phrase may have a slightly different meaning when used by various writers in different contexts.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

What makes you think there is a "correct definition"? I did search Google, and I noticed that in most of the linked results where people were discussing "fake difficulty" they started out by defining what they meant, usually along with some examples -- the reason that they all seem to do this is that "fake difficulty" isn't a commonly used term with an agreed-upon definition.

In my own opinion, I would say that a brief (and very broad) definition might be along the lines of "difficulty imposed upon the player by the forced undertaking of challenges outside the scope of the game's normal mechanics".

A more interesting and related question to consider might be how best to design obstacles in such a way as to challenge players without the game seeming unfair.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I don't think "fake difficulty" is an universal term. I would be very surprised if such definition would be found in any encyclopedia.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement