Sign in to follow this  

Actionscript 3 Java Server

This topic is 2394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am creating a basic tile game and was wondering the best route for server. I know about Electro Server and Red5 and smartfoxserver. I want the users to be able to host a game and have around 30 people connect. It will most likely be over xmlsocket. I have 2 questions.

1) I was wondering if anybody knew if the 3 servers I listed can make easy to install executable servers for people wanting to create and host a game? It seems like they are just for MMO type games.

2) Or should I just create my own server using Java, and if I should is there any good helper libraries that you know of? Thanks!

Nothing is "easy" when it comes to hosting servers, unfortunately.

You can build a server using whatever technology you want. However, when it comes to Flash plug-ins, they will only connect back to the host that served the plug-in itself, to avoid cross-site scripting attacks. This means that you can't have users host the servers, unless you want them to also host the plug-in itself. That's of course possible, but means that each user who wants to host games will also have to set up proper port forwarding through their firewall/router, at a minimum.

You can write the server in Java, Smartfox, Node.js, Erlang or Visual Basic -- there's not really a big difference. Although some of the servers (those specific to Flash) are likely to have more "easy quick start" type documentation, if you need help getting things up and running.

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]I see, thanks for the info, which brings 2 more questions[/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]1) So in an example of a Java server and Flash SWF file, they would have to be hosted on the same domain? a flash.swf at 'xyz'.com could only connect to 'xyz'.com java server? which is fine, [/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]
[/size][/font][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]2) what If I had a main 'hub' that the java server connects to, my server validates the java server for being 'secure', adds it to a list that is accepted by the cross domain policy file. Is that possible? [/size][/font]

I'm not sure about other servers, but I can attest that you can certainly have ElectroServer socket server running on one domain and an AS3 client hosted on a different domain, and it all works just fine. AS3 clients from user's hard drives would need to have the user set their flash player's global security settings to allow socket messages from that area of the hard drive. ElectroServer has a built in custom policy file that it serves when an AS3 client connects. I have seen problems when an AS3 client on one domain tries to load sprite sheets from a different domain.

This topic is 2394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.