Sign in to follow this  

Refs without AddRef/Release

This topic is 2394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know I can't create objects without AddRef, Release behaviors, but how can I register Ref objects without implementing AddRef/Release (for example setting _Void function) for them ?
for example singletons or references to existing application objects ?
I just don't want to override all of my classes with AddRef/Release, that's a little bit lame.

I did something like this, and I got assertion failure at registering asBEHAVE_ADDREF behaviour :

[code]
r = asEngine->RegisterObjectType( "physics", 0, asOBJ_REF ); HMR_ASSERT(r >= 0);
r = asEngine->RegisterObjectBehaviour( "physics", asBEHAVE_FACTORY, "physics@ f()", asFUNCTION(phys::Physics::Instance()), asCALL_CDECL ); HMR_ASSERT(r >= 0);
r = asEngine->RegisterObjectBehaviour( "physics", asBEHAVE_ADDREF, "void f()", asFUNCTION(_NullFunc), asCALL_CDECL ); HMR_ASSERT(r >= 0);
r = asEngine->RegisterObjectBehaviour( "physics", asBEHAVE_RELEASE, "void f()", asFUNCTION(_NullFunc), asCALL_CDECL ); HMR_ASSERT(r >= 0);
r = asEngine->RegisterObjectMethod( "physics", "void foo()", asMETHOD(phys::Physics, Foo), asCALL_THISCALL );
[/code]

It fails because asCALL_CDECL is an illegal calling convention in this case, as AngelScript must be able to pass the object pointer to the function. You need a function that takes the object pointer as a parameter, and then you can use for example asCALL_CDECL_OBJLAST convention:

[code]
void _NullFunc(Physics *ptr)
{
}
[/code]
If you have a lot of classes to register without proper reference counting, you can template the _NullFunc:

[code]
template <class T> void _NullFunc(T* ptr)
{
}
[/code]

[quote name='AgentC' timestamp='1306597685' post='4816799']
It fails because asCALL_CDECL is an illegal calling convention in this case, as AngelScript must be able to pass the object pointer to the function. You need a function that takes the object pointer as a parameter, and then you can use for example asCALL_CDECL_OBJLAST convention:

[code]
void _NullFunc(Physics *ptr)
{
}
[/code]
If you have a lot of classes to register without proper reference counting, you can template the _NullFunc:

[code]
template <class T> void _NullFunc(T* ptr)
{
}
[/code]
[/quote]

thanks for the hint

This topic is 2394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.