Sign in to follow this  
Icebone1000

website design and web hosting

Icebone1000    1958
Hey..
Suppose I want a website for my game..I dont know nothing about web design, so I want to hire an web designer.
The web designer is the one who will take care of the web hosting?(should it be?) Or should I care about this, and the designer just care about the pages?

Tom Sloper    16040
Contact some web designers and ask your questions of your candidates.
But really, if you have to ask these questions, you are probably not ready to proceed with this venture. You haven't thought it through enough.
Just getting the site made is only a small part.
You also need to buy a domain, and find a webhost.
You also need a marketing plan -- a plan for how you're going to attract customers to your site.
You also need a monetization plan -- how you're going to collect money and distribute your product.
You also need a customer service plan and an EULA.
It might be better to go with an existing game portal. Less money for you, but you don't have to deal with all those business and legal aspects.
[url="http://www.sloperama.com/advice/article60.htm"]FAQ 60[/url].

Icebone1000    1958
[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1306604098' post='4816829']
Contact some web designers and ask your questions of your candidates.
But really, if you have to ask these questions, you are probably not ready to proceed with this venture. You haven't thought it through enough.
Just getting the site made is only a small part.
You also need to buy a domain, and find a webhost.
You also need a marketing plan -- a plan for how you're going to attract customers to your site.
You also need a monetization plan -- how you're going to collect money and distribute your product.
You also need a customer service plan and an EULA.
It might be better to go with an existing game portal. Less money for you, but you don't have to deal with all those business and legal aspects.
[url="http://www.sloperama.com/advice/article60.htm"]FAQ 60[/url].
[/quote]
Thinking about all that is exactly what Im doing now, I dont have anything, I just considering, cause one day I do want to have my indie business( Im thinking on distributing exclusively on Steam, since that cut my worries about DRM and "Order-Processors"(not sure if thats how it is called, the thing so players can by my games, I believe doing it yourself with paypal/googlecheckout will give much more problems to handle).
The site will be just for posting WIP videos and info(like a news blog), concept art, and a forum, and info about the games of course.

I created the thread cause I was looking for web-hosting services, but I dont have a clue what I need to do, suppose, after aquiring one of those services..Do I need a web programmer or just a web designer?(the programming part is taken care by the service itself?) Because, if its just the design of the pages, Id probaly could do it with tools applications.

Tom Sloper    16040
[quote name='Icebone1000' timestamp='1306607577' post='4816854']
I created the thread cause I was looking for web-hosting services, but I dont have a clue what I need to do, suppose, after aquiring one of those services..Do I need a web programmer or just a web designer?(the programming part is taken care by the service itself?)
[/quote]
See what I wrote before: locate some likely candidates, and ask them your questions. When you find one whose answers make sense and whose prices are affordable, you've found your resource.