Sign in to follow this  

Need help picking software

This topic is 2389 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am just getting into game designing and I need a little help. I would like to create a first/third person shooter game or a platformer game. I would like recommendations as to what game programming software would be the best use to possibly make games. Free software is preferable, but not required. Thank you.

[quote name='bullman' timestamp='1306606792' post='4816847']
Hi, I am just getting into game designing and I need a little help. I would like to create a first/third person shooter game or a platformer game. I would like recommendations as to what game programming software would be the best use to possibly make games. Free software is preferable, but not required. Thank you.
[/quote]
Short answer is: it depends on how deep into it you want to go. The [url="http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=rules&f=31"]"For Beginners" Forum FAQ[/url] gives you some decent guidance.

[b]Edit:[/b] Game designing, game programming, game artist--they're all different, and require different skill sets, and it's unlikely that any given person will be good at all of them. My advice is to choose a focus, but if you really want to create a full game on your own, you have a lot of learning ahead of you. It will take time. But the people here are more than helpful if you're willing to put in the work ;)

This topic is 2389 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.