Open source game libraries

Started by
3 comments, last by metorsummoner7 12 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I'm a software developer looking to start working on games. I was hoping someone could point out some open source libraries to use. My only requirement is that it is multi-platform (linux and windows at least, mac support is a plus) and is a full library with sound, graphics rendering, basic image manipulation (rotations etc.), basic timer functions, can display text, has basic drawing functions (cricles, rectangles etc.) and multi-threading support. So far I've found one that looks good SFML http://www.sfml-dev.org but I figured you guys could show me a few more to try out and find one I like.
Advertisement
SFML is really good. I recommend you start with the (currently beta) 2.0 version, since that's about to be released and changes the API.

SDL is also good. Allegro is another option. Both SDL and Allegro have 'C' interfaces while SFML has a C++ interface.
I'd recommend trying both SFML and SDL, and finding out which you like best, or which offers the features that you most want.

I'm not a huge fan of Allegro, personally.
Thanks for the reccomendations, I'll play around with SDL too.
If you have an Nvidia card, my favorite SDK is JMonkeyEngine. Its a complete game development suite but its still in Alpha and doesn't work well with anything but Nvidia. I like Panda3D also but you have to have Windows to import art assets into it. Its the same as JMonkeyEngine only JMonkeyEgine has its own IDE and scene graph editor built into the editor. I like Panda's Python also more than Java. I leaned with C++ but picked up Python very easy. Right now, since I was stuck with an ATI card from Dell, I'm using Away3D. Away3D is one of the most complete and most documented of the game development suites that can be used with ATI. I have the cookbook from Packt and its nice. The only disadvantage of Away3D is that it doesn't seem to have physics built in. You will have to import it. Its similar to Ogre but I think it is more game specific than Ogre. SFML is nice but you have to use all third party software to use it. If your okay with using tools like SFML, I would at least use Ogre. It has more built in libraries. I'm using Away3D because I am a game and simulation student at DeVry and we only have 8 weeks to develop a game project. I even considered using Platnum Arts Sandbox, Alice, and Syntensity. I almost used Alice since its so simple but the Java exporter doesn't seem to work right. Syntensity and Platnum arts could lead to very rapid development but makes it hard to develop a complete Mod without changing the source code. I hope this is helpful.

Hi, I'm a software developer looking to start working on games. I was hoping someone could point out some open source libraries to use. My only requirement is that it is multi-platform (linux and windows at least, mac support is a plus) and is a full library with sound, graphics rendering, basic image manipulation (rotations etc.), basic timer functions, can display text, has basic drawing functions (cricles, rectangles etc.) and multi-threading support. So far I've found one that looks good SFML http://www.sfml-dev.org but I figured you guys could show me a few more to try out and find one I like.
That almost sounds like a job for Java.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement