books of making a game engine?

Started by
4 comments, last by Kl1X 12 years, 10 months ago
i need a straight answer about a good (not old) book on creating/making a 3d game engine, just a book that helps you make one, it does not matter what programming language its in just a good book because i have got shown alot of books that say game engine design but im not sure if it is going to help make a game engine or the book are too out of date.

thanks -josh

Advertisement
I think majority will agree with me that if you have to ask how to make an engine, you really shouldn't be making one. Those things aren't some kind of set in stone program that games must have to run properly. 3D engines are not trivial software and a lot of them go for big bucks because they are challenging to create properly even for seasoned professionals. If you're looking to create the engine for personal use, it would probably be best if you focused on making the game, and then another game reusing some code from the previous, perhaps make some tools to make the process more automated, etc. etc. and slowly, but surely, you will have yourself a capable engine flexible enough to handle very tough challenges with a few tweaks. Imagine this to be somewhat like playing the piano. You can certainly download the sheet music for one of Volodos's pieces but without the proper reflexes and coordination, you will never be able to play it. Without experience, you'll end up with a buggy bulk of code that won't be very capable nor versatile, and you'll get frustrated along the way (more so than if making an actual, specific game).

That's of course not to doubt your skills in programming or anything, it's just that making a functional engine is not an easy task, more so without the know-how in the first place.

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

Game engine architecture
At the top of the page is the resources tab, inside there is the book listIn there is a game engine section with some books listedUsed copies may be available or cheaper new deals available via a price comparitor website
go to amazon and read people comment and the book publish date. use game engine as keyword.

either way, you really really need andre la mothe book as supplement. it will give you bigger picture of things.
Game Code Complete

Discusses the major components of a game engine, and has plenty of tips and tricks that are built off of the author's personal experience in the industry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement