Sign in to follow this  
Pun1sher

Where to start?

[b]Hi, Im trying to make a game. I want it to be a;

Client Type: Browser
Interface: Text Based
Time Delta: Tick Based

I'm not familiar with a lot of programming, Excellent with visual basic if that means anything.
I just need a starting point. I want it to have ranks, attack other people for credits, use credits to up like a population growth?
I know there is alot of games out there like that but I want something, I don't know yet :)
[/b]

If your wanting your game to be browser based then i would recommend programming it in Java. However since you mentioned you are new to programming I would first try to learn the language / programming principles before making a game. Plenty of resources on this website for tutorials, There are some good you tube videos on Java too, I would recommend searching for "The New Boston" and go through his java tutorials.

Good Luck

What program do I use to code with java? Or what is the best program, And isn't java a program to make 2d and 3d games? I just want a text based game. The game I kinda want to make is http://multiversewarriors.com/

Just mysql and php for the most part I'd say.
And whatever maf did with Ajax..
And html, naturally..

- 1 of my friends said this is what the game was made with.

Java is a programming language. Saying it's used for ANY game development, 2d or 3d, is actually false. It simply has libraries that are used with it to do so. To explain it the best I can, you have your programming language (Java, C, C++ etc.) and then you have the libraries you'll use with that language. I'm certain you've heard of DirectX, OpenGL, XNA etc. if you've googled anything game development related for 10 seconds, those are examples of libraries. They are pieces of code you include in your project to do things like audio, graphics and all that stuff. Learning and using Java is much better for your project then making a seperate web page for each part or using ajax since it will give you the knowledge to extend your skills into other areas. I recomend you pick up a book on Java or read some online tutorials and soon you'll know exactly what you need to do to make your game.You'll have to install the Java Development Kit (google JDK) and that's all you need to start programming in Java. Write your code in Notepad and if you want later on move to an IDE.

[quote name='Pun1sher' timestamp='1306774187' post='4817570']
What would be a good Java book to start? ---Thanks for all the help above :D
[/quote]

Go to amazon.com or amazon.co.uk and search for java game programming. Read the reviews on both the amazon.com and amzon.co.uk. Just beware of the midwest books something reviews as that is a review spammer.

Also if you have not programmed before the Head First Java book is a good start to get familiar with the language. However, It is not a game programming book but it is really a very gentle start for people who has close to no programming experience(if you are already proficient in programming then this book is not for you).

I wish you a good day :D