Reading someone's code

Started by
17 comments, last by NightCreature83 12 years, 10 months ago

It sounds like the problem might be no clear module structure. Do the classes interact in a spaghetti fashion? Is there any attempt at separating subsystems into logical units?

Instead of looking at the code, try starting from a high level perspective and move down. So maybe figure out how a mouse click gets turned into an object action. Or try to figure out where from main() you get to some actual rendering. Find out what would be involved in adding a new game object. Do you have a full build environment? Play around with the code, actually change some stuff.

That might give you a better view of the "important" types and functions, the ones you are most likely to interact with when you go to work on extending this. You don't need to understand all the classes, there might be too many.

Yeah, the code isn't too complicated, it's just that it's heavily based on the script, and I had zero experience with that. I was playing with the code, and trying to figure out what certain class did (or didn't do...) I kept investigating, placing breakpoints and playing the game, but nothing happened. It seems it was a completely useless class, I commented it all out and no compiler or linker error.

I mean, I don't want to say the code is bad, because I'm a novice and the game works. But dammit...
Advertisement

Yeah, the code isn't too complicated, it's just that it's heavily based on the script, and I had zero experience with that. I was playing with the code, and trying to figure out what certain class did (or didn't do...) I kept investigating, placing breakpoints and playing the game, but nothing happened. It seems it was a completely useless class, I commented it all out and no compiler or linker error.

I mean, I don't want to say the code is bad, because I'm a novice and the game works. But dammit...

On legacy code bases useless code is everywhere. It's just something you have to get used to. It will piss you off, but eventually you'll realize that it's just the way legacy codebases work. You'll probably even end up doing some less than desirable practices because it's easier than rewriting a significant portion of a legacy codebase.

It is a hazard of the job. When you have a 3000 file code base that's had pieces of it used by 20 projects you aren't going to have the manpower to have a perfectly tailored codebase to the last game in the line.

I kept investigating, placing breakpoints and playing the game, but nothing happened. It seems it was a completely useless class, I commented it all out and no compiler or linker error.

Actually you made good progress. You figured out that the class wasn't needed. If I was in your shoes at that 'aha' moment I would feel some (perverse) satisfaction. Determining what parts of the code aren't used or are not relevant is equally important to your goal.

I kept investigating, placing breakpoints and playing the game, but nothing happened. It seems it was a completely useless class, I commented it all out and no compiler or linker error.

That's a good start.

Be careful because sometimes code that seems safe to comment out may actually be used by some less-common code cases and code routes. Be sure to look for edge cases and other ways in to the code.

Now use your logic skills to guess at why they might have written it, why it might be unneeded.

Getting started in an unfamiliar code base is a bit like an evil scientist doing a vivisection. You discover that poking here causes a response over there. Pinching this causes that to twitch. Closing off something causes the game to crash.

One good way to learn is to just jump in. Figure out a small change that you want to make, perhaps adjust an existing UI screen, or add a small piece of functionality, or fix a known bug. The first time in you will end up dropping lots of breakpoints to see where to stop the program at various times and places, you will need to search for all instances of a data type or member variable or for everywhere a function is used.

When you discover something that you didn't understand add a comment so you'll immediately recognize it next time. When you have an awkwardly named variable or function then use your tools to help rename it into something more meaningful to you.

Gradually it will grow into something you can work with comfortably.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Beware things that *seem* to be dead code - some scripting systems I've seen use reflection (or some other kind of runtime lookup) when a script is interacting with the engine code. Removal of such engine code will compile, but then mysteriously crash at runtime when the particular script tries to call the associated engine code.

Beware things that *seem* to be dead code - some scripting systems I've seen use reflection (or some other kind of runtime lookup) when a script is interacting with the engine code. Removal of such engine code will compile, but then mysteriously crash at runtime when the particular script tries to call the associated engine code.

Yeah, a better idea (depending on language and compiler) would be to compile the app, lib, whatever it is, and then actually view the debug map files generated at the end to make certain that the classes/functions weren't left in the lib because of some command line switch to the compiler to disable stripping of unused code and classes. Then you can be absolutely sure that you can get rid of them, because if they're not in the final product, then they're obviously not used at all!
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Script can be both a blessing and a curse, depending on how is it implemented and how is it used.
The purpose of a good script is to invoke very well defined code functions in a dynamic way to react to events and such. It often gets overused, for instance to calculate projectile trajectory, thats not what script is for, thats game code responsibility. If you see a lot of disconnected classes and methods that seem to never get called in code, they are probably being called from script. In some cases even the flow of the game is implemented almost entirely from script, not usually the best idea, but it does work and it is used.

Unless you are using an in-house engine (one created by your company) you might do well in telling us what you are using in order for those who know it to provide you with additional tips.

Game making is godlike

LinkedIn profile: http://ar.linkedin.com/pub/andres-ricardo-chamarra/2a/28a/272

Also learn the scripting language as most of the game will probably be done in it and you need to know it to follow the flow of the game. Thats also one of the reasons why the classes in the project seem so unconnected, as the connection isn't made in the code but in the data of the game.

If there is something like a main in the script thats most likely where the game starts running and from there you can follow what is going on.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement