Sign in to follow this  

Graphs DataBases

This topic is 2387 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[font="Verdana"]Hi all,

I'm now learning about Graph Databases, that allow one to describe the inter-relations between nodes.
Here's a slideshow describing it:
[url="http://www.slideshare.net/andres_taylor/graph-database-super-star-8079303"]http://www.slideshar...er-star-8079303[/url]

Now, if I where to write something similar to this from scratch in C++, which underlying key algorithms and data structures would be required?

Thanks!
[/font]

[quote name='Prozak' timestamp='1306761130' post='4817487']
[font="Verdana"]Hi all,

I'm now learning about Graph Databases, that allow one to describe the inter-relations between nodes.[/quote]
Which is precisely what every *relational* database (the R in RDBMS) does.

I've looked around similar databases, but could never find a use case for them.

I've found that for small graphs any database will do. Once you get to tens of millions of nodes, the amount of data becomes so large that bottlenecks lie elsewhere. For example, all-pairs shortest paths results in n^2 results. So you quickly get into terabyte or petabyte range.

[quote]Now, if I where to write something similar to this from scratch in C++, which underlying key algorithms and data structures would be required?[/quote]
A hash table perhaps... Or a 2D array, representing graph as matrix.

A graph is a set of nodes and a set of edges. But as I said, I've never found a use case that would require a graph database. I'm not really sure what exactly that is supposed to be compared to any other database.[/font] Or in what way it differs from key/value stores with ETL processing (map/reduce or similar).

This topic is 2387 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.