Contracts over Email

Started by
1 comment, last by Endar 12 years, 10 months ago
Hello GameDev Hive-mind,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for sorting out contracted work via email? I don't know what the legally binding version of the traditional paper contract is when communicating via email. Is there a digital equivalent to "sign on the dotted line"?

While I'm on the topic as well, what's the best kind of deal to strike in the case of a zero-budget indie game that may or may not make money in the future? Royalties?
Jonny Martyr
Composer & Sound Designer for Games & Film
www.jonnymartyr.com
Advertisement
don't take my answer as something to take into account.. but..

what I've seen is that there are "milestones" (I think people use a different word though) to achieve. Let's say you have to make 100 sprites for them, well, when you make 25, they pay you for 25. If the money doesn't come, then you stop working for them, and if it does, you keep working for them!.

Now, how would you go about making that legal, I have no idea, but at least you're kind of safe that you won't be screwed up at the end having worked and without any money.
Preferably, have them send email a contract, print out several copies (of the pages you need to sign), sign them, send them via snail mail to the other party, have them sign it, and then send your copy back.

So, the work starts when you each have a signed copy of the contract.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement