Sign in to follow this  
Gibbers

VS2010 licensing, among other things.

My friends and I have been working on a game (XNA) which we plan to possibly sell. We're using Visual Studio 2010 through DreamSpark, and a student version of 3ds Max. The license agreements for both of these state that it's for student/personal use only.

Does anyone have any experience with this who can explain the licensing?

Thanks.

You can switch to the Express version of Visual C#, which is free and can be used to create commercial products. With 3ds Max you might be out of luck though..

[quote name='Erik Rufelt' timestamp='1306877765' post='4818041']
You can switch to the Express version of Visual C#, which is free and can be used to create commercial products. With 3ds Max you might be out of luck though..
[/quote]
What limitations does the express version have? Anything that would have any effect on us?

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio#Editions_feature_grid"]http://en.wikipedia....ns_feature_grid[/url] <--- feature comparsion

I use the express version and it seems complete to me.

The express versions are quite good actually. They lack plugin support and possibly also integrated source code control (not sure about that one). You could also look at BizSpark which is targeted at startups.

[quote name='Gibbers' timestamp='1306878502' post='4818048']
[/quote]
What limitations does the express version have? Anything that would have any effect on us?
[/quote]

For C# there are a few limitations, most notably the lack of customizable breakpoints and less powerful refactoring tools. (You can still set/remove breakpoints, you just can't configure them to only trigger if a certain condition is met), The limitations won't affect the end result but for large projects and teams the more expensive editions might provide a decent productivity boost)

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1306884046' post='4818078']
[quote name='Gibbers' timestamp='1306878502' post='4818048']
[/quote]
[/quote]

For C# there are a few limitations, most notably the lack of customizable breakpoints and less powerful refactoring tools. (You can still set/remove breakpoints, you just can't configure them to only trigger if a certain condition is met), The limitations won't affect the end result but for large projects and teams the more expensive editions might provide a decent productivity boost)
[/quote]

Debugger support for muliple threads, ie viewing a list of threads, activating threads etc is missing. Although the debugger can debug multi threaded apps if you set breakpoints which you know a particular thread will hit.
Also the express editions do not have support for 64bit or ATL/MFC, probably not an issue if you are only using XNA.

David

Hi dblack,

you habe limited support for setup projects. That might be a problem when you sell your game. There are of course free alternatives.
I would recommend the express version for the developing process and buing a commercial version for the last builds, testing and creating the installer.

--GWDev

[quote name='Nanoha' timestamp='1306926027' post='4818232']
What about switching to Blender instead of 3ds max?
[/quote]

+1 for this, although I havnt used 3ds much (and Maya a bit more) polygon and subserf modelling in Blender is as good or better than these. Rigging and animation in 2.5 is also very good, perhaps not quite as good as Maya, but more than adequate for a game.

David

[quote name='dblack' timestamp='1306924585' post='4818229']Also the express editions do not have support for 64bit or ATL/MFC, probably not an issue if you are only using XNA.[/quote]
Are you sure about that? I could have sworn VS2008 could compile 64bit applications. I suppose I could be wrong and/or they changed it in 2010.

[quote name='Flimflam' timestamp='1306996911' post='4818548']
[quote name='dblack' timestamp='1306924585' post='4818229']Also the express editions do not have support for 64bit or ATL/MFC, probably not an issue if you are only using XNA.[/quote]
Are you sure about that? I could have sworn VS2008 could compile 64bit applications. I suppose I could be wrong and/or they changed it in 2010.

[/quote]

Yup, the full feature comparison is here: [url="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/hs24szh9.aspx"]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/hs24szh9.aspx[/url]

Anyway for C# with XNA you're stuck with x86 only, so that's no big deal.

[/quote]

it does, if you have the x64 compiler installed

[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1307086881' post='4818962']

[/quote]

it does, if you have the x64 compiler installed
[/quote]

Does the debugger work in this situation? (which is perhaps the important part of using VS)

David