Sign in to follow this  
Varine

Controlled Procedural Terrain Generation

I've seen a lot of procedural terrain generators, but what I need is some level of control over it. Is there such a thing as a procedural generator where I can use an existing heightmap as a base and draw out where I want the algorithms to run, as opposed to them just kinda going all over the place?

[quote name='Varine' timestamp='1306914129' post='4818192']
I've seen a lot of procedural terrain generators, but what I need is some level of control over it. Is there such a thing as a procedural generator where I can use an existing heightmap as a base and draw out where I want the algorithms to run, as opposed to them just kinda going all over the place?
[/quote]
I use simple procedural texture generation algorithm (I've written a little tool for it ).
Heightmaps are just images, using a procedural texture tool would be a easy way to manipulate a heighmap in a controlled manner. The problem is, that most image tools only support 8-bit values, whereas a heighmap often used atleast 16-bit height values.

When you are happy with 8-bit then check out [url="http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/"]mapzone[/url], load your existing heightmap as grey-scale image and play around with different nodes.