Sign in to follow this  
john13to

Implement HLSL Glow/Blooming Effect on a sphere model in XNA

john13to    151
I have a number of sphere particles where I want each sphere model to have a glow effect on it.
Now I have read several tutorials on how you implement that glow effect in a shader but the thing
is they use the original texture on a specific 3D-model and a some kind of a glow map to render
the glowing effect in the shader. But I don´t have either of that, but I only have the sphere model
in the .fbx-format. I do however visualize each particle by using BasicEffect in XNA where I enable
default lighting, disable two of three directional lights and activating ambient light and diffuse color
which renders this result:

[attachment=2579:sphereparticles.png]

This is appearance of the sphere particles I am satisfied so far, I now want to add a glowing effect to
each sphere particle. But without having any texture or glow map applied to it, how do I implement
Gaussian blur, which is part of the glow effect process, for instance in the HLSL shader?

EJH    315
Have you seen the bloom shader sample from the XNA site?

http://create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/sample/bloom

john13to    151
Yes I have seen it, but that is an example of applying Blooming effect for the whole scene in the screen,
not for a specific 3D model in the scene. They also uses textures in the whole process where I don´t
have any textures for the sphere model at all. But maybe I should create single color textures (red, green,
blue and so on) and then apply it on the sphere models. At the same time I can use those textures to
perform gaussian blur in HLSL so it eventually will produce the glowing/blooming effect as seen in that
bloom example. Will that work perhaps?