Implement HLSL Glow/Blooming Effect on a sphere model in XNA

Started by
1 comment, last by john13to 12 years, 10 months ago
I have a number of sphere particles where I want each sphere model to have a glow effect on it.
Now I have read several tutorials on how you implement that glow effect in a shader but the thing
is they use the original texture on a specific 3D-model and a some kind of a glow map to render
the glowing effect in the shader. But I don´t have either of that, but I only have the sphere model
in the .fbx-format. I do however visualize each particle by using BasicEffect in XNA where I enable
default lighting, disable two of three directional lights and activating ambient light and diffuse color
which renders this result:

[attachment=2579:sphereparticles.png]

This is appearance of the sphere particles I am satisfied so far, I now want to add a glowing effect to
each sphere particle. But without having any texture or glow map applied to it, how do I implement
Gaussian blur, which is part of the glow effect process, for instance in the HLSL shader?
Advertisement
Have you seen the bloom shader sample from the XNA site?

http://create.msdn.com/en-US/education/catalog/sample/bloom
Yes I have seen it, but that is an example of applying Blooming effect for the whole scene in the screen,
not for a specific 3D model in the scene. They also uses textures in the whole process where I don´t
have any textures for the sphere model at all. But maybe I should create single color textures (red, green,
blue and so on) and then apply it on the sphere models. At the same time I can use those textures to
perform gaussian blur in HLSL so it eventually will produce the glowing/blooming effect as seen in that
bloom example. Will that work perhaps?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement