Sign in to follow this  
Gazoo101

Depth Buffer not being updated?

Hey GameDev,

I've been dealing a hand at using the stencil buffer to perform some simple Constructive Solid Geometry, and I almost have my first basic algorithm working, but I've run into some issues with the depth buffer. I'm not sure if I am doing anything wrong or what exactly is happening. Basically, it seems like the depth buffer isn't being updated properly in between drawing a few simple boxes.

My code looks as follows:
[code]

/***
* First we fill the depth buffer with the CONVEX proxy geometry!
*/
glEnable ( GL_DEPTH_TEST );
glEnable(GL_CULL_FACE);
glCullFace(GL_BACK);

renderProxyGeometry();

for (iter = cutGeometry.begin(); iter != cutGeometry.end(); iter++) {
/***
* Keep Culling front-faces as we fill the stencil buffer with potential intersecting geometry
*/

glCullFace(GL_BACK);
glDepthMask(GL_FALSE);
glDepthFunc(GL_LESS);
glEnable(GL_STENCIL_TEST);
glStencilFunc(GL_ALWAYS, 0, 0);
glStencilOp(GL_KEEP, GL_KEEP, GL_INCR);
glColorMask(0, 0, 0, 0);

glColor3f(0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
iter->render();

/***
* Switch to Culling Back-faces and write only where we've established a potential intersection
*/
glDepthMask(GL_TRUE);
glCullFace(GL_FRONT);
glDepthFunc(GL_GREATER);
glStencilFunc(GL_EQUAL, 1, 1);
glStencilOp(GL_KEEP, GL_KEEP, GL_KEEP);
glColorMask(1, 1, 1, 1);

glColor3f(0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
iter->render();

glClear( GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT );
}
[/code]

The important part to note is the last part of the for-loop where I render the backface of a few boxes with values greater than any already placed in the Z-Buffer. The first box properly draws over the the initial box (drawn via the renderProxyGeometry), but in the next iteration of the for-loop, it seems as if the z-buffer has not been updated properly from the last iteration as I get an unexpected result. I have a debugging function which reads the depthbuffer using glReadPixels - I tried splicing this into the for-loop hoping to get an image per new drawn update, but all I get is the same depth picture with only the initial box and the first intersecting box rendered in the for loop.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I can't exactly trust the values I'm reading from the z-buffer during rendering. Does anyone have any experience regarding this?

Regards,
Gazoo