Sign in to follow this  
braincell

[.net] How to list all methods that reference member of a class?

braincell    115
Many times while coding, I need to create a list of all methods within the solution that use a certain member of a class.

Right now the way I make this list is going to [i]Find All References [/i]and clicking through all of the results and writing down the methods where they appear by hand.
I'm thinking, there must be a better way, right?

I need this during debugging quite often, for example finding out if a member is accessed within a threaded method and when locking needs to be done, etc. Also for documentation purposes, and especially when dealing with somebody elses undocumented code.
I'm using VS2008 with VB.Net.

I see that Visual Assist find references does a better job by listing them in alphabetical order, but it seems to be missing a few methods (crucially), and i still cannot copy/paste, so I need to type it all out by hand.

It would be very helpful if someone with experience could point me in the right direction, or show me a plugin that does this. Thanks!

a_loho    106
In VS2010 there is the Call Hierarchy Window (Ctrl + K, Ctrl + T) that lists methods that call the method accross the whole solution, it also list methods called from this one, as well as methods that overrides it. I couldn't find it on my VS2008 install though, it may be a new feature. Works only if you can upgrade to VS2010 of course.

braincell    115
Hmm yes, I just googled it and it seems to be a new feature of VS2010. Very useful!

OK so now it's definitely time to upgrade, but until then any other recommendations are welcome.
It would still be kind of nice if I could copy/paste the results in plain text, but maybe that's asking too much.