Sign in to follow this  
Munchkin9

General Graphics Help

Munchkin9    125
I really need someone to explain graphics programming to me... I know that's vague but I really don't even know where to begin.

My problem is that I can create a perfectly working game with minimal graphics (no background, and circles representing characters) but as soon as I add real graphics especially the background picture, the games start lagging immensely. I am using Python and Pygame, and I am trying to work with a screen that is 1440x900.

Any help is appreciated.
-Munchkin9

Munchkin9    125
[quote name='JTippetts' timestamp='1306965231' post='4818435']
You're right, that is vague.

What did you try, how did you draw things? Are your drivers up to date? Are you sure something isn't falling back to software rendering?
[/quote]

Do be honest I have no idea what I did. Since I'm using python I just drew a 'background image' a pre-made what not in Pygame. And I can run very high graphics AAA games with no problem so this is solely a problem with my programming. What would be convenient is if someone could direct me to resources such as documentation or examples of graphics programming I might be able to figure it out

EDIT: Okay I actually think I figured it out. For anyone who runs into the same problem as me (and that happens to check this thread) look at this [url="http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/newbieguide.html"]A Newbie Guide to pygame.[/url]
apparently the .convert() function has to be called so as to stop a process that has to be run on images that have not been converted. Also has a few other tips for optimization that might in fact apply outside of pygame or even python.

Any way good luck and happy programming.