Sign in to follow this  

Need help on how to get started

This topic is 2389 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm an experienced PHP programmer and so I'm familiar with the basics of programming: loops, arrays, variables, objects, so on and so forth.
I have looked at the basics of java and it seems reasonable but I don't really have a reason to dive into using it (I still enjoy making web applications).
However I DO want to make an indie game like Final Fantasy Tactics and java's cross platform-ness is appealing.
Also with success of Minecraft it seems to me that those types of "block engines" could be useful for a TBS.
So where do I need to go next to take my java basics to java advanced stuff? Are there tutorials out there that hand hold taking the advanced steps? Or even a java block engine/TBS game?
Any constructive help would be appreciated.

I do c++ don't know much about Java but maybe you should do something more simple like space invaders or tetris. Im making a tile based game at the moment and its not the most simple type of game to make. You have problems like getting the render order correct which can be tricky, and pathfinding etc. I just googled java space invaders and looked like some pretty good tutorials to me.

I do c++ don't know much about Java but maybe you should do something more simple like space invaders or tetris. Im making a tile based game at the moment and its not the most simple type of game to make. You have problems like getting the render order correct which can be tricky, and pathfinding etc. I just googled java space invaders and looked like some pretty good tutorials to me.

Look into "isometric tile engines", if that's too complicated, I'd suggest taking a step back, like r4d4 suggested start with a simpler 2d game. Despite it's simple graphics, there's alot going on behind the scene of minecraft, which it sounds like you might not be at that stage yet to be able to tackle it easily.

I'd also like to add that C++ can be very viable as a cross platform language as well. There are plenty of libraries you can use, SFML, SDL or Allegro for example, which give you pretty much everything you need to start building your game or game engine if you need one. I like Java, but I think if you have a choice, seeing as the two are very similar anyways, I'd go with learning C++. A great online series on C++ is http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ and then you can move onto learning an API. Good luck!

This topic is 2389 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.