SDL vs. SFML for 3D rendering only

Started by
2 comments, last by JTippetts 12 years, 10 months ago
Let me first say, I have been using both sfml and sdl for 2d game programming, and they are great cross-platform libraries. I prefer to use sfml for 2d games, because it is simpler, and I don't need to do all the opengl hardcoding just to get some fast effects with my sprites. However, I want to know, which is faster for an only 3d implementation, SDL or SFML? I am basically using them only for a rendering context, and programming the 3d openg stuff myself. I am wondering, are there any performance differences or major pitfalls ahead when using either of the libraries for JUST an opengl rendering context?
EDIT: forgot to mention, I am also using them for input, but the question about which is the faster rendering context remains the same.
Advertisement
Are you not using either for keyboard/mouse input?

Correct me if I'm wrong but really all you need to compare is SDL_GL_SwapWindow() with sfml's Window->Display() ?

Are you not using either for keyboard/mouse input?

Correct me if I'm wrong but really all you need to compare is SDL_GL_SwapWindow() with sfml's Window->Display() ?

forgot to mention that. I am using them for input.
The question is basically irrelevant. A GL context is a GL context, and any difference in overhead introduced by SDL_GL_SwapWindow() vs. Window->Display() is going to be completely negligible in comparison to everything else you'll be doing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement