[web] Live Beta: Infinite Mario in HTML5!

Started by
8 comments, last by robertkleffner 12 years, 10 months ago
Hey all! I am pleased to announce that you all will be the first to know about the live beta for Infinite Mario in HTML5. I've spent a couple of months porting the Java applet version written originally by Markus Persson (Notch) over to JavaScript.

The link is here: http://mario.fromlif...m/dev/main.html

BUT FIRST:

There is an issue playing background music in Chrome. Well, there's just issues playing sound in Chrome in general, but background music especially. So there is currently no background music in the Chrome version. If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them! Except for Flash. I want to keep this strictly non-Flash.

Firefox 4 and Safari seem to work the best. Obviously any IE is out of the question. I have not extensively tested any version lower than 4 for Firefox, so be prepared for some bugs.

The Controls:

S: Enter level on Map, Jump in level
A: Shoot fireball (if fire powerup, obviously)
Left, Right: Movement!

The source code is not compressed (for lower speed browser connections, it is unlikely you will get much enjoyment from my highly unoptimized load process). This means you a free to browse around and see how things were done, or offer suggestions if you have any. Eventually, in a more finalized version, I will be minifying the source code and the uncompressed version to GitHub.

Enjoy!
Rob Kleffner
"Egoism is the essence of a noble soul." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Advertisement
Final version live. Same issues with sound in browsers except Firefox 4. May audio development for HTML5 continue as fast as possible...

http://mario.fromlifetodeath.com/
I pressed S but nothing happened. FF 4.0, Win XP.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Thank you for the notice. I should have the issue fixed.
I removed the background music from ALL live versions. Seems to not work even in FF4 on Windows. Sound is still included on the dev version, and I now think Chrome will perhaps perform the best out of all the browsers for the live version. I did notice a severe lag in FF4 on Windows 7, but that could be because I am running Windows 7 on a VM.
Awesome, that was a long time ago :D. Sound worked fine for me as well in FF4 on Windows 7. It seemed to run too fast though, do you use fixed values that might cause the game to speed up with higher frame rates?
It should be frame rate agnostic. However, I did have it set at 30 FPS, so I decreased it to 24 FPS which is what Notch had his version at originally. It is slightly slower now. I'm not sure if I like it as much, it was more challenging at 30 FPS. :) But I'll leave it at 24.
You sir are a talented individual for doing this! lol, but on Chrome everythign seems to be working great, besides the background music which you stated, but the sound effects work.
Test with FF under win64, good work :)
---------------------------------
FAR Colony http://farcolony.blogspot.com/
Played flawlessly through 3 levels of the game. Congratulations on your work! :) I have a question though: Couldn't this potentially cause you a problem if Nintendo found out about it?
Thank you all very much!
Perhaps, yes, but Notch still has his up, so I'm assuming it's all good for now. :) If they send over a cease and desist letter, I'll over to give it to them for free. Probably save me some bandwidth issues anyway.

In other news, a competitive version integrated with Facebook is up and running. Hacked it out in 3 hours, so... be wary. :)

Basically how it goes is you get 3 lives to get as far as you can. When you die, and if it's your high score, your high score on the leaderboard is updated. Coins count as 1 point, but getting 100 of them doesn't give you a 1-up, otherwise the game would never end. When you complete a level, you get 100 points plus the amount of time you had left, thus an incentive to finish levels as quickly as possible. :) Enjoy!

http://mario.fromlifetodeath.com/competitive.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement