Sign in to follow this  
japtar10101

Anyone tried to make a game in Blender?

I'm thinking about making games again, and Blender game engine caught my eye. I wanted to ask anyone around here if they've played around with Blender's game engine, and if so, whether it was useful/constructive or not.

I'm personally used to making games in Unity, and while I recognize Blender is nowhere near as intuitive or as easy to use as Unity, I still want to explore several free options for a change.

As a matter of fact I've tried to prototype an idea for a 3d game in Blender. It is extremely easy to use if you know the user interface well.
You can also look on the Blender Organization website for a game called Yo! Franky which was made entirely in Blender.

Please note the following though:
[list][*]For serious full-fledged games, the BGE ( Blender Game Engine ) uses the Python language for programming.[*]On my 3.2 GHz single core HP workstation, the game ran pretty slowly, so performance is something important.[*]Blender is a program created mainly for 3D modelling. Although you can make games with it, the Game Engine is not the main focus of the program.[/list]So my advice is to use Blender mainly for 3D modeling, as there are much much better choices for 3D game development.
Do not take word for word what i said. It is excellent for prototyping.

Just my 7 agorot (Israeli currency).

Best regards,
David D.

PS. If this post helped you, be sure to rate it in the bottom-right corner.

[quote name='wiz3kid' timestamp='1307025744' post='4818674']
As a matter of fact I've tried to prototype an idea for a 3d game in Blender. It is extremely easy to use if you know the user interface well.
You can also look on the Blender Organization website for a game called Yo! Franky which was made entirely in Blender.

Please note the following though:
[list][*]For serious full-fledged games, the BGE ( Blender Game Engine ) uses the Python language for programming.[*]On my 3.2 GHz single core HP workstation, the game ran pretty slowly, so performance is something important.[*]Blender is a program created mainly for 3D modelling. Although you can make games with it, the Game Engine is not the main focus of the program.[/list]So my advice is to use Blender mainly for 3D modeling, as there are much much better choices for 3D game development.
Do not take word for word what i said. It is excellent for prototyping.

Just my 7 agorot (Israeli currency).

Best regards,
David D.

PS. If this post helped you, be sure to rate it in the bottom-right corner.
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. Shame its frame-rate is slow. Did you try working with the [url="http://code.google.com/p/gamekit/"]Game Kit[/url] plugin? I was looking into that as well, and wanted to know if it was worth it or not.

Programming is easy for me. It's my expertise.

you might want to take a look at [url="http://www.panda3d.org/"]panda3d[/url] instead if you're looking for a free engine that is reasonably performant.

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1307073125' post='4818937']
you might want to take a look at [url="http://www.panda3d.org/"]panda3d[/url] instead if you're looking for a free engine that is reasonably performant.
[/quote]

I have heard of...less than good stories about Panda3D. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

[quote name='japtar10101' timestamp='1307248427' post='4819636']
[/quote]

I have heard of...less than good stories about Panda3D. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
[/quote]

Really? I thought Disney used it for their commercial products.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've pretty much decided to give Blender game a shot, and see if I can make a prototype of what I want to make. With any luck, I should be able to easily port it to GameKit, and see some performance gains.

I'll post later if all goes well.

[quote name='owl' timestamp='1307270708' post='4819700']
[quote name='japtar10101' timestamp='1307248427' post='4819636']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? I thought Disney used it for their commercial products.
[/quote]

They do.

The library was an option in one of my college's courses, and quite a lot of people disliked it.