Sign in to follow this  
Bow_vernon

Unity Full script based game engine

Bow_vernon    323
I mean the one that handle input processing in the script too. I heard about unity and udk. But I dunno how they work/if they handle input in script. I want to know if there's an engine where making games is just a matter of writing scripts and run the .exe file. Do you know any such engine?

MERKB7661    120
Scripts in Unity and UDK are processed directly by the IDE; just like any other programming environment. The difference is the environment itself. Yes, you have control over user input, but the graphics, sound, and input framework are set up by the engine, so you don't have to do alot of pointless initilization. Does that answer your question?

Bow_vernon    323
Thanks, Id also like to know how the resource are loaded. Do they generate some resource-to-load-list or you do it inside the initialization script? since scripts are resource too. Anyway the unity site doesnt tell the overall mechanism of their engine. Do you know any useful link? thx :D

JBourrie    1204
[quote name='Bow_vernon' timestamp='1306999042' post='4818558']
Thanks, Id also like to know how the resource are loaded. Do they generate some resource-to-load-list or you do it inside the initialization script? since scripts are resource too. Anyway the unity site doesnt tell the overall mechanism of their engine. Do you know any useful link? thx :D
[/quote]

For Unity, I would suggest just downloading it and going through a few of the tutorials. After an hour of tutorials, you will be able to answer more questions than hours of asking on this forum.

The short answer is, Unity loads resources from an "Assets" folder, and automatically knows how to import the most common file formats (Maya, PSD, image formats & fonts) into a useable format for the engine. You don't have to load anything via script, and all of your "code" (including input & game logic) are handled through compiled C# scripts (or Javascript, if you're a masochist).

metorsummoner7    124
[quote name='Bow_vernon' timestamp='1306999042' post='4818558']
The short answer is, Unity loads resources from an "Assets" folder, and automatically knows how to import the most common file formats (Maya, PSD, image formats & fonts) into a useable format for the engine. You don't have to load anything via script, and all of your "code" (including input & game logic) are handled through compiled C# scripts (or Javascript, if you're a masochist).
[/quote]

That is also true with UDK although I can't remember the name of the folder. I believe it is also called "Assets". If you do decide to use UDK, the content manager will prove it's self as useful when importing files.

MERKB7661    120
[quote name='JBourrie' timestamp='1307000691' post='4818564']

For Unity, I would suggest just downloading it and going through a few of the tutorials. After an hour of tutorials, you will be able to answer more questions than hours of asking on this forum.

[/quote]

I agree in general, but I would also like to add that the three tutorials Unity offers leave a lot of blanks. There are a couple of [i]excellent[/i] Unity tutorial books out there. One of my favorites is this one: http://www.gamedev.net/page/books/index.html/_/programming-1/game-programming-9/game-engines-41/unity-game-development-essentials-r772.

It is called "Unity Game Development Essentials by Will Goldstone.

Olof Larsson    99
[quote name='Bow_vernon' timestamp='1306992782' post='4818531']
I mean the one that handle input processing in the script too. I heard about unity and udk. But I dunno how they work/if they handle input in script. I want to know if there's an engine where making games is just a matter of writing scripts and run the .exe file. Do you know any such engine?
[/quote]

Have you tried coding JS / HTML5 games? Using javascript and the canvas? The engine would be your webbrowser :)
I'm totally in to js games at the moment. There are some performance issues but for small games that is not a problem.