Sign in to follow this  
birbal

starting into game development

Hello,
Just a new member here. I want head into game development. But i dont have any idea about it where to start. Can anyone give any pointers? I have not planed for any game for now , just want to read and learn the basic tech of game development. The main part which makes me questioned is how does the 3D graphics is being implemented with it? is it use 3D Max,Maya like softwares?
I have good base in OOP languages. C++,C#,PHP, etc if its matter.

[quote name='birbal' timestamp='1307012510' post='4818610']
Hello,
Just a new member here. I want head into game development. But i dont have any idea about it where to start. Can anyone give any pointers? I have not planed for any game for now , just want to read and learn the basic tech of game development. The main part which makes me questioned is how does the 3D graphics is being implemented with it? is it use 3D Max,Maya like softwares?
I have good base in OOP languages. C++,C#,PHP, etc if its matter.
[/quote]

If you need a readily made model like a landscape or something, you would propably use modeling software like those, but you can make them in the program itself if you want a simple shape like a cube, or if you want it to be created by the program itself...
With modeling software the program would load the triangle vertices and other data from a file and give the data to the graphics card, without a file it would create that data by itself and send it to the graphics card. (and then update their coordinates or add more)

To render stuff like that you would propably use DirectX (windows) or OpenGL (cross platform, if rest of your code is too...) or a game engine wich makes it easier.

@tom yes i read that. am i breaking any forum rules? (if so then i am sorry for that) or is there any other pointers which are you refering? am i missing something?

[quote]
If you need a readily made model like a landscape or something, you would propably use modeling software like those, but you can make them in the program itself if you want a simple shape like a cube, or if you want it to be created by the program itself...
With modeling software the program would load the triangle vertices and other data from a file and give the data to the graphics card, without a file it would create that data by itself and send it to the graphics card. (and then update their coordinates or add more)

To render stuff like that you would propably use DirectX (windows) or OpenGL (cross platform, if rest of your code is too...) or a game engine wich makes it easier. [/quote]

thanks for the reply!
directX means directX SDK i think. right? and what about Xna? what is it? i downloaded XNA though i did not know what is it. what does it do? is that the game enguine? from the download page and help page it looks like its for windows mobile. eh?

and can any one give any tutorials or any other resource to get the basic ideas?

[quote name='birbal' timestamp='1307117879' post='4819119']
@tom yes i read that. am i breaking any forum rules? (if so then i am sorry for that) or is there any other pointers which are you refering? am i missing something?
[/quote]
NP - just sounded like you hadn't read it.