A step into game development

Started by
8 comments, last by TymoteuszPaul 12 years, 10 months ago
[font="Arial Narrow"]Afternoon all.

I am interested in Game development and would like some pointers as to which language would be the best to learn. I've been teaching myself PHP with a little success. I understand the very basics.

I have an idea for .......you guessed it an online text based strategy game, which is why i chose PHP. Though one of my favorites uses JAVA.

I have no other experience in programming apart from a little Pascal when at school.

I am stuck as to where to go from here. I am starting to struggle a bit with PHP and MYSQL, I need a lot of documentation/tutorials and the ones I have found out there all seem to be a bit outdated and when I run through then I hit a stumbling block.

I am kind of torn between sticking with PHP and the things I can find on the internet or going down the route of JAVA, seeing though I have "Sam's Teach Yourself Java In 21 Days" in my cellar.

A lot of websites I've heard use PHP and I know of some games I've played using JAVA.

Which One? Java or PHP?
And is there any up to date tutorials for real novices like me?

Any help much appreciated. [/font]
Advertisement
Out of PHP and Java i think personally i would rather use Java. Although you may want to look into C# and Python? If you want so basic tutorials it may be worth having a look through this blokes youtube page as he has some on several different languages.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston
What are your long-term goals? Do you want to eventually work for a game company as a programmer? Or are you looking to just mess around?

What are your long-term goals? Do you want to eventually work for a game company as a programmer? Or are you looking to just mess around?

I am currently looking at it for a hobby. Though if it leads to a job or even an income then thats good. Evdn though i realisticly dont think that will happen.
Don't go into the PHP unless you need a job and need it nao (there is big market for noob programmers in that language), try with some more modern languages that are gaining grounds (python is great example)

[quote name='A Brain in a Vat' timestamp='1307027642' post='4818689']

I am currently looking at it for a hobby. Though if it leads to a job or even an income then thats good. Evdn though i realisticly dont think that will happen.
[/quote]

Okay, and what type of game are you wanting to make?
My idea is an online multiplayer similar to eve, command and conquer etc. Which is why i first thought of php. Though now i'm torn between php and java, i have thought about c++ but i think that's a bit too much.

My idea is an online multiplayer similar to eve, command and conquer etc. Which is why i first thought of php. Though now i'm torn between php and java, i have thought about c++ but i think that's a bit too much.

You've got some things confused. Eve Online and Command and Conquer were not written in PHP. PHP is primarily used for web development. That doesn't mean "online games", it means "web development".. web pages.

If you want to make games like Eve Online or C&C, you have a lot of learning to do before you do anything online.

My suggestion is you start learning python. Once you have a good grasp of its fundamentals, download Unity 3D and try to make a game that way.
Agreed, PHP is all executed server-side. So, this is no good if you want to program games and the likes.

For games, I would look into C# or C++.

Agreed, PHP is all executed server-side. So, this is no good if you want to program games and the likes.

For games, I would look into C# or C++.
Now that's a bull, you can easily write desktop apps in pretty much any language, including php (for example: http://deepdungeons.sourceforge.net/). If you like PHP, feel free to write in it but keep in mind that most of its community is focused in web development so there are not many libraries you can use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement