• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
enigmagame

Bowling physic parameters

This topic is 2576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I'm working on a simple bowling game, using Ogre as rendering engine and Bullet as physics engine.
I'm at the point to tune all the physical parameters, but how? Where I can find those?
For example:
- Ball friction
- Ball restitution
- Ball angular damping
- Ball linear damping
- Ball, any other...
- Pins parameters
- Lane friction
- Lane restitution
Thanks.

Advertisement
One small point. Friction is a property of the interaction between the bowling ball and the ground so you dont need a value for both just one. The same with the restitution. As for what to use for these values, you could find it by experiment. Go to a bowling alley and film the ball as it goes along, you should be able to make a graph of distance versus time and so figure out the friction. Maybe though that theres also drag involved (wind resistance). You can also use a similar method to get the restitution. Drop the ball from a known height and then measure the height it bounces up to. These values will give you the restitution.

Hi guys, I'm working on a simple bowling game, using Ogre as rendering engine and Bullet as physics engine.
I'm at the point to tune all the physical parameters, but how? Where I can find those?
For example:
- Ball friction
- Ball restitution
- Ball angular damping
- Ball linear damping
- Ball, any other...
- Pins parameters
- Lane friction
- Lane restitution
Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!