• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
schupf

operator new

This topic is 2574 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I want to use my own global allocator for my allocations. So I overloaded global operator new, which calls my global allocator:

void* operator new(size_t size, const char* desc, int line) {
void* p = MemManager::getInstance().allocate(size);
return p;
}

MemManager::allocate() can use any allocation strategy (pool, bulk, malloc() etc.)
Of course I also have to implement a corresponding global operator delete:
void operator delete(void* p) {
MemManager::getInstance().deallocate(p);
}

deallocate() frees the memory allocated by allocate(). But now comes the problem: Since I have my own global operator delete(), I also have to overwrite the global standard operator new(size_t size), even though I have no interest in changing standard operator new, because I do not use it (I only use my custom operator new with the 2 additional arguments).
How should I implement standard operator new(size_t size)? Actually I would just use malloc(), but this may not fit to my MemManager::allocate() allocation strategy and thus operator delete() will not work correctly. And if I just use my MemManager::allocate() I will allocate entities (std::string etc) that are not part of my engine with my allocator.

How could I solve this? How should I overload standard operator new(), when I have a custom operator new/delete?

Advertisement
One option is to put the new / delete inside the class that will be using it.

struct x
{
void *operator new(size_t t) { return malloc(t); }
void operator delete(void *p) { free(p); }

};

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!