Sign in to follow this  
sosa

DXUT

[font=Tahoma, Helvetica][size=2]Has anyone integrated a project into DXUT? I installed a sample with DXUT and have been stripping out the items I dont want so I can use the GUI functionality. My question is has anyone taken this a step further and built a game or application using the the DXUT framework as a starting point?

Thanks for any insight anyone has.[/size][/font]

I tried DXUT once, but I scrapped it because I found it impossible to create something that is in anyway navigable, that is, I wanted to create a menu (New Game, Continue Game, Settings, etc.) but I couldn't get rid of the menu and put something else in.

A few years ago I modified the GUI system of DXUT to add custom skinning, and create new components.
So it's definitely possible. But if I had to use a GUI now, I wouldn't use DXUT. It was a good learning experience, but it was really not meant to be customized like I did.

So my advice : if you're going to use minimalistic GUI features, go for DXUT. If you're planning to create a great GUI system with lots of features, efficient, etc. then stay away from it ^^
IMO :)