• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sosa

DXUT

This topic is 2543 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[font=Tahoma, Helvetica][size=2]Has anyone integrated a project into DXUT? I installed a sample with DXUT and have been stripping out the items I dont want so I can use the GUI functionality. My question is has anyone taken this a step further and built a game or application using the the DXUT framework as a starting point?

Thanks for any insight anyone has.[/font]

Advertisement
I tried DXUT once, but I scrapped it because I found it impossible to create something that is in anyway navigable, that is, I wanted to create a menu (New Game, Continue Game, Settings, etc.) but I couldn't get rid of the menu and put something else in.

A few years ago I modified the GUI system of DXUT to add custom skinning, and create new components.
So it's definitely possible. But if I had to use a GUI now, I wouldn't use DXUT. It was a good learning experience, but it was really not meant to be customized like I did.

So my advice : if you're going to use minimalistic GUI features, go for DXUT. If you're planning to create a great GUI system with lots of features, efficient, etc. then stay away from it ^^
IMO :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!