Sign in to follow this  
ianisnotagirl

On beginning a new project

ianisnotagirl    100
Hey there forum goers. I have questions.

It is my intent to begin creating my own game. My first actual game, to be more accurate. Im very new to all this and so, naturally, i have a lot of questions. The most important being, where do i start?
I have very little programming knowledge, having only ever made things in action script for Adobe Flash.

My goal was to make a 2d rpg and incorporate the elements of freedom and dynamic story telling found in more modern rpgs.

I began to learn C++ and quickly realized that it would be too overwhelming to use. When i started to look at more accessible alternatives, i ran into recommendation after recommendation for "gamemaker" and "rpgmaker".

Any word on how limiting using these programs would be?

Then a self proclaimed experienced programmer started talking to me about first building a game engine then creating content and i just became very confused. Could someone possibly explain this to me?

If all else fails i might have to look into finding myself a better programmer, but i would like to try my hand at doing some of it myself.

Tom Sloper    16062
[quote name='ianisnotagirl' timestamp='1307143966' post='4819258']
i ran into recommendation after recommendation for "gamemaker" and "rpgmaker".
Then a self proclaimed experienced programmer started talking to me about first building a game engine then creating content and i just became very confused. Could someone possibly explain this to me?[/quote]
Yes. On the one hand, a lot of people made you a good recommendation, and you were skeptical. Then on the other hand, one guy makes an opposing recommendation, and now you weren't skeptical anymore -- now you were just confused. The explanation is that you are easily swayed by a smooth talker, yet not at all swayed by people who say things you don't want to hear.

Yes, GameMaker and RPGMaker are limited in what can be made with them -- but they are excellent for learning basic game-building concepts.

I don't suppose you've read this forum's FAQ? Pretty sure beginner tips are discussed therein.
And there's also http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson56.htm -- skip the opening "Q&A" section, and scroll down to the links section.

Deadlybones    93
Well if you're starting with an RPG then you might want to look in to rpgmaker. It's of course more limited than creating a game from "scratch" but I think it should be sufficient for what you're trying to accomplish. I've never actually used gamemaker but I probably wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'm not saying it's bad, it can be good to introduce people in to programming and game design concepts or teach you to complete projects or make prototypes fast. Gamemaker is solid but it just doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps after you want to branch out in to other genres then you could try it. You should keep practicing your coding and read up on 2D game concepts though because once you know a language well it's easy to learn others.

Another few random points:

-RPGs aren't usually recommended to newbies because they can quickly become overcomplex and overwhelming. I'm not saying you can't pull it off though, especially if you use rpgmaker which should help a lot

-Building a game engine before creating games is also usually frowned upon. You should make some games and complete them. After you start making a few games you'll start building up a solid base of reusable code(essentially a game engine)

Just my two cents. Good luck!

ianisnotagirl    100
[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1307159339' post='4819301']
[quote name='ianisnotagirl' timestamp='1307143966' post='4819258']
i ran into recommendation after recommendation for "gamemaker" and "rpgmaker".
Then a self proclaimed experienced programmer started talking to me about first building a game engine then creating content and i just became very confused. Could someone possibly explain this to me?[/quote]
Yes. On the one hand, a lot of people made you a good recommendation, and you were skeptical. Then on the other hand, one guy makes an opposing recommendation, and now you weren't skeptical anymore -- now you were just confused. The explanation is that you are easily swayed by a smooth talker, yet not at all swayed by people who say things you don't want to hear.

Yes, GameMaker and RPGMaker are limited in what can be made with them -- but they are excellent for learning basic game-building concepts.

I don't suppose you've read this forum's FAQ? Pretty sure beginner tips are discussed therein.
And there's also [url="http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson56.htm"]http://www.sloperama...ce/lesson56.htm[/url] -- skip the opening "Q&A" section, and scroll down to the links section.
[/quote]

It isn't so much that im easily swayed. Just that I had already looked into those programs and they seemed very limiting. The programmer type confused me by suggesting that i start with building an engine, which didnt make a whole lot of sense to me. I actually had more faith in the guys giving me recommendations. I suppose using gamemaker would help me understand enough to interface with more experienced programmers.

As far as the FAQ, thank you for pointing it out, and im sure it will help. I was just looking for opinions. So thank you, sir.

ianisnotagirl    100
[quote name='B O N E S' timestamp='1307159370' post='4819302']
Well if you're starting with an RPG then you might want to look in to rpgmaker. It's of course more limited than creating a game from "scratch" but I think it should be sufficient for what you're trying to accomplish. I've never actually used gamemaker but I probably wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'm not saying it's bad, it can be good to introduce people in to programming and game design concepts or teach you to complete projects or make prototypes fast. Gamemaker is solid but it just doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps after you want to branch out in to other genres then you could try it. You should keep practicing your coding and read up on 2D game concepts though because once you know a language well it's easy to learn others.

Another few random points:

-RPGs aren't usually recommended to newbies because they can quickly become overcomplex and overwhelming. I'm not saying you can't pull it off though, especially if you use rpgmaker which should help a lot

-Building a game engine before creating games is also usually frowned upon. You should make some games and complete them. After you start making a few games you'll start building up a solid base of reusable code(essentially a game engine)

Just my two cents. Good luck!
[/quote]

Thank you. I think i might experiment with it. Try the one with the scripting system and tinker around with it. And thank you, i had similar thoughts about the game engine.
Appreciate your help buddy, im more of an art guy (animation, writing, etc.) and programming seems to be one of those things i cant pick up quite as fast.