2D games and camera angle

Started by
1 comment, last by Rodimus 12 years, 10 months ago
I'm currently playing around in Unity and working on some basic functionality for a 2D platform game. However, I am really unsure which camera angle I'd like to go for when I get to that stage in the process. In the picture below, I've highlighted the three angles I've personally seen in 2d games. The exact angle on the cubes aren't accurate, but it gives you an idea of what I am trying to describe.

angleexample.png

Source: http://www.3doro.de/...on-Cubes_90.png

Hearing your opinion would be nice as I am having a hard time picking a favourite myself. I feel that the "straight on" angle gives a better platform game feel to it and would work better in a game that has a lot of floating platforms and such. The other ones allow for more graphics and details on the ground. The one at the bottom right would also work very well if you have ladders or similar in the game.

What would you say are the pros and cons for the different angles and which one do you personally prefer (and why)?
"Rodimus and Unity" - My developer journal
Advertisement
Would you like this thread moved to the art forum? Seems like more of an art question to me. But my opinion is, either of the two on the left are fine; the lower one requires more art than the first because the texture of the ground will be visible a bit. I hate the ones on the middle and right though. What's most important in a platformer is what works for jumping. If you want something like a ladder you can always put a single diagonal wall in fake perspective.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Thank you for your feedback appreciate it. Feel free to move this to the art forum if it fits better in there. I was a bit unsure whether to put it there or in the design forum, and that is a part of the discussion I guess ;)

EDIT: Thank you for taking the time to move the topic
"Rodimus and Unity" - My developer journal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement