What happened to SetTransform?

Started by
2 comments, last by TomKQT 12 years, 10 months ago
Hey all,
I'm trying to learn DX11. I knew a very tiny bit of DX9 and wanted to pick up where I left off. But it's going slow. I'm making a new engine, and using bits of code from the prior engine. But I can't seem to find the equivalent of SetTransform in 11. I've got an old camera class from DX9 that I'm trying to migrate over, and that's the last bit I need...I think. Can someone give me a clue?

- Goishin
Advertisement

Hey all,
I'm trying to learn DX11. I knew a very tiny bit of DX9 and wanted to pick up where I left off. But it's going slow. I'm making a new engine, and using bits of code from the prior engine. But I can't seem to find the equivalent of SetTransform in 11. I've got an old camera class from DX9 that I'm trying to migrate over, and that's the last bit I need...I think. Can someone give me a clue?

- Goishin

Isn't SetTransform() part of the fixed function pipeline?
DX10 and DX11 no longer support the fixed function pipeline.
You'll have to render using shaders and provide your transform matrices in a constant buffer.
Eh...

Constant buffer? Oof. This got hard in a hurry.

Ok. I got some google references to go off of. Thanks for the reply.
If you were just a beginner in DX9, you probably knew mostly stuff that's changed in DX10/11, so unfortunatelly you're going to start almost from zero again. (Of course the basic principles of 3D graphics like vertices, pixels, triangles and the whole 3D math etc. are still valid, but the code isn't.)

As already said, SetTransform was part of the fixed pipeline (http://www.gamedev.n...mable-pipeline/) which was available in DX9 but is not anymore in DX10.
You must use shaders to replace its functionality, SetTransform will be typically replaced by matrix multiplications in a vertex shader as it is a vertex operation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement