Sign in to follow this  
sketchasketch

Another help thread....

I've very set on learning Java, and I've tried to in the past, but I get off track. I need a way to learn java, it has to be SUPER in-depth, and engaging. I can handle a lot more than you might think, but once I start doing something for a while, if it's the same stuff over and over, but with a new label on it each time, eventually I just wander off.

I can do books, videos, anything except actually taking classes, because I'm flat broke.

What do YOU recommend?

[quote name='sketckasketch' timestamp='1307218757' post='4819510']
That's not very helpful.
[/quote]

Making any type of project is a great way to learn a new language and games are (in my opinion) more fun to make than most other projects.

If you allready know the basics i think you should follow szecs advice, make a game, keep things simple to start with.

Try the following:

1) Make a program that opens a window and draws a circle in it.
2) Make that circle move from one side of the screen to the other then back again indefinitly.
3) Make the program accept keyboard input and use that to control the direction the circle moves in.

4) Use the knowledge you gained by doing 1-3 to make a [u][b]simple[/b][/u] game.

If you get stuck anywhere just ask for help, People will have a far easier time answering specific questions such as "How do i draw circles in Java ? or How does the KeyListener interface work ?" than broad generic questions.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ is a good place to find information on how to do 1-3

One really really really crappy thing about the eco system for java is the choice. Frankly there are just too damned many ways to do too damned many things. You can so easily get hung up spending months learning about various frameworks, GUI toolkits, web platforms, etc, before you really make it anyways. Unfortunately you need to know the language before you can make an educated choice. It's a really nasty catch22.

If I was starting out today learning Java, and wanted a fun and engaging way to go... I would probably start with Android development. Yeah you are learning two technologies at once but frankly its more satisfying and takes away so many choices from you, as the database, 3d libraries, UI library, etc... have all been chosen for you. You can get up and running with a hello world button app in 5 minutes.

All that said, Android pretty much forces you to use Eclipse which is wayyyyyyyyy less newbie friendly than NetBeans. Also, Google's developer support is horrid. For now though, the community itself is pretty massive and just google "Learn Java on Android" and you will get tons of resources.

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1307221479' post='4819520']
[quote name='sketckasketch' timestamp='1307218757' post='4819510']
That's not very helpful.
[/quote]

Making any type of project is a great way to learn a new language and games are (in my opinion) more fun to make than most other projects.

If you allready know the basics i think you should follow szecs advice, make a game, keep things simple to start with.

Try the following:

1) Make a program that opens a window and draws a circle in it.
2) Make that circle move from one side of the screen to the other then back again indefinitly.
3) Make the program accept keyboard input and use that to control the direction the circle moves in.

4) Use the knowledge you gained by doing 1-3 to make a [u][b]simple[/b][/u] game.

If you get stuck anywhere just ask for help, People will have a far easier time answering specific questions such as "How do i draw circles in Java ? or How does the KeyListener interface work ?" than broad generic questions.

[url="http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/"]http://download.orac...avase/tutorial/[/url] is a good place to find information on how to do 1-3
[/quote]

Now THAT is helpful, thanks a ton man.

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1307226834' post='4819558']
One really really really crappy thing about the eco system for java is the choice. Frankly there are just too damned many ways to do too damned many things. You can so easily get hung up spending months learning about various frameworks, GUI toolkits, web platforms, etc, before you really make it anyways. Unfortunately you need to know the language before you can make an educated choice. It's a really nasty catch22.

If I was starting out today learning Java, and wanted a fun and engaging way to go... I would probably start with Android development. Yeah you are learning two technologies at once but frankly its more satisfying and takes away so many choices from you, as the database, 3d libraries, UI library, etc... have all been chosen for you. You can get up and running with a hello world button app in 5 minutes.

All that said, Android pretty much forces you to use Eclipse which is wayyyyyyyyy less newbie friendly than NetBeans. Also, Google's developer support is horrid. For now though, the community itself is pretty massive and just google "Learn Java on Android" and you will get tons of resources.
[/quote]

I'll definitely try it, can't hurt. I already use Eclipse, so that won't be a huge deal.