• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Serapth

So you want to be a real programmer?

This topic is 2542 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
You know, "Real Programmers" also recommend against learning those "hand-holding" engines like Unity - it's so much better to wrestle with the 10+ year old SDL and write all of your own 3D. Personally, I think SDL is also too high-level, I like to build my own monitor from old televisions so I can design the hardware interfaces from scratch. Then I can interact with those interfaces using my custom-made computer that runs on vacuum tubes and punch cards (transistors are SO n00b).

I hope within the next decade or so I can reveal the project that I'm working on. It's really cool: it kind of feels like you're really playing table tennis in a frictionless environment!

We should sticky this post. Fantastic! Especially when it comes from a guy whose website it "GameFromScratch.com"... it's nice to see you don't define "from scratch" as "reinvent the wheel".

Maybe if this weren't a poor retelling of a 10 year old article (with Java as the holy grail). Now to find that link...

Maybe if this weren't a poor retelling of a 10 year old article (with Java as the holy grail). Now to find that link...

First off, I take exception to being a "poor" retelling, I like to think of it as at least a mediocre retelling.

Second, actually it wasn't a retelling. Now, by no means is the story new. In fact that is exactly the point of it, we all go through it eventually, or at least most of us do. Have other people had and put to word similar experiences? Of course they have... welcome to a world with six thousand years of written heritage, you are bound to get a bit of overlap!

Finally, I posit no "holy grail", I actually attempted to make it clear that many languages should be considered, even "the villain" of the story.

Nah, real programmers use a magnitized needle and a steady hand :cool:... you know someone was going to say it. Don't know if this conversation is going anywhere real, so I may as well put my $0.02 in... I tend to think the qualification of real programmers and engineers is not the language -- you can program in COBOL for all I care (but please don't :P), but rather a certain set of design skills and an approach less about what is best for business/most profitable/prettiest and more about "how do I get this to do what I want it to do in the best way I can" (and maybe have some fun with it along the way)

So by some trickery I was made to install Visual C# Express in order to run the game Terraria.

After playing around a bit it was really tempting but I want to use OpenGL. Is it possible to use SDL/OpenGL in C#?

So by some trickery I was made to install Visual C# Express in order to run the game Terraria.

After playing around a bit it was really tempting but I want to use OpenGL. Is it possible to use SDL/OpenGL in C#?

Yeah, there are OpenGL bindings for just about every language.

Ditto for SDL.

And of course, Tao is a binding of both as well as ODE physics.

All that said, that is NOT the point of this thread. I am not saying C# is the "one true language" either. There is no "one true language", that is entirely NOT the point of this thread. You could just as easily swap my reference to C# with Java, D, Ruby, Python, whatever... and the story would have been just as valid.

Please please please for the love of dog, don't take this as a pro C# post, totally not the intention.

Not a clue what this has to do with the question at hand, but the answer is yes.

I agree, magnetized needle for programming is a must if your serious about your craft :wink:. It's also essential to be programming on a system that of which you built from the bottom up with parts you made by melting down the elements around you and molding them into their appropriate forms. You then have to create the OS, firmware, drivers, and essential applications for said system in order to make it easier on yourself ( but by all means you can still do it using the needle ). If any of you people are using anything short of this, your a noob programmer at best!

Obviously the paragraph above is bogus. Don't reinvent the wheel ( as someone mentioned ), and use the right tool(s) for the job. If your building something that requires lots of control and power in the application, stick with a lower-level language to build the application with more resource-efficient code. If you have a deadline, or just don't want to bother with the low-level stuff, go for the higher-level languages and their great resources and tools. There is no "one size fits all" way to do something, therefore there is no "one language fits all" solution to programming. Also, this thread should be a sticky, if not for the information than for the exaggerated remarks in the replies :lol:.

What's the point? I don't really understand what you're trying to express, every language, even a scripting language, has it's pros and cons. It was very close-minded of you to not think about that when programming.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!