So you want to be a real programmer?

Started by
60 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 12 years, 10 months ago
sketckasketch, not sure if you read through the whole article ( and the replies ), but it's a point being put across that there is pros and cons to every language, and nobody is raising up any language. Everyone here has said that you should use the right language for the right task. Not sure how that is relays to being "close-minded", but unless you didn't read through all the thread your not going to see that were not shunning anyone for what they use to do their tasks. In the end, nobody can say their language is better in every situation.

Again, I'm sure you just didn't read the ending of the article first posted, and the exaggerated remarks made by the repliers as a joke.
Advertisement

What's the point? I don't really understand what you're trying to express, every language, even a scripting language, has it's pros and cons. It was very close-minded of you to not think about that when programming.

:)

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Java really does suck though.
My philosophy is:

do whatever makes developing your project as easy on yourself as possible while keeping it as fast as possible, and eliminating the need for run-time dependencies that will only aggravate and inconvenience the end-users of your project.

Programming is an art where programmers create a virtual machine that is intended to do virtual work, taking virtual input, and creating virtual output. It would then only make sense the machine does the job without costing more time and money than it should for both the programmer and the end-user. Find strategies for writing code that help you make your machine work properly without spending 90% of your development time finding bugs that could have been avoided, this of course is something that only comes with practice and experience, so keep on practicing and gaining experience.

Languages don't matter unless your goal is speed, whatever language you are most proficient at is the one you want to use, unless learning a new language that's quick and easy to pick up will save more time than sticking with your mastered language.

Code in a way that makes everyone happy, or as happy as possible. That's all!

Why? I feel like most people says this but that language actually makes a lot of jobs easier. Sure there are a couple of things in Java thats 'weird', but I wouldn't go to say that java sucks. Its actually isn't thaaaat bad as people display it out to be. Maybe you can show me why exactly java sucks? Is it all the libraries it provides? Or the automatic garbage collection? Or all of the exception safety it has? Or all the libraries it provides? or all the libraries it provides? Or is it because its not manly enough?
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

[quote name='return0' timestamp='1307320118' post='4819923']

Why? I feel like most people says this but that language actually makes a lot of jobs easier. Sure there are a couple of things in Java thats 'weird', but I wouldn't go to say that java sucks. Its actually isn't thaaaat bad as people display it out to be. Maybe you can show me why exactly java sucks? Is it all the libraries it provides? Or the automatic garbage collection? Or all of the exception safety it has? Or all the libraries it provides? or all the libraries it provides? Or is it because its not manly enough?
[/quote]

I think all of the Java-hate out there is mainly by C# users, because C# (in most cases) is a better designed and more effective programming language for the "average" application.

Of course, even then it's only sucks relative to C#. In fact, it's a pretty decent language with good performance, support across nearly every platform in existence, and C# wouldn't even exist if Java didn't. Even though I try to avoid using Java whenever possible (I try to stick with C#), I'd favor it over lower-level languages (like C++) or script-like languages (like Python) for most applications.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

From the perspective of an already experienced programmer like yourself that's an easy thing to say. Pick the right tool for the right task. Problem is you can't decide which tool is best if you don't have at least some understanding of how each of them work. You wouldn't use a chainsaw to tie your shoes would you? In my limited experience there are no shortcuts in learning good programming. I say grab the bull by the horns and start out by learning a lower level language, let it sink in, and work your way up from there. It doesn't necessarily have to be difficult, but it will take some time for most people.
Someone once told me learning C++ was like learning how to juggle knives...

Someone once told me learning C++ was like learning how to juggle knives...

That's not true at all! C++ doesn't require anywhere near the hand-eye coordination juggling requires. And with C++ after you slip and kill someone with the knife, you can reuse it for something else afterward. With actual knives, you have to get rid of the evidence.
That's not true at all! C++ doesn't require anywhere near the hand-eye coordination juggling requires. And with C++ after you slip and kill someone with the knife, you can reuse it for something else afterward. With actual knives, you have to get rid of the evidence. [/quote]

So true.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement