Sign in to follow this  
fazerbox

How Add Edge Transparency to Texture?

Hi all,

I have a very simple question.

I have a Texture and I use ID3DXSprite.Draw() to draw it. I want apply transparency to texture but only at edge. I want to do that without changing source texture file, I mean I don't want modify texture including transparency edge. See image below.

In there a simple way to do that? How?

Is it possible use SetRenderState to do that, maybe using a second Texture Applied to first that has info about Edge Transparency?

Thanks in advance.
Max.

[quote name='fazerbox' timestamp='1307359604' post='4820039']
Hi all,

I have a very simple question.

I have a Texture and I use ID3DXSprite.Draw() to draw it. I want apply transparency to texture but only at edge. I want to do that without changing source texture file, I mean I don't want modify texture including transparency edge. See image below.

In there a simple way to do that? How?

Is it possible use SetRenderState to do that, maybe using a second Texture Applied to first that has info about Edge Transparency?

Thanks in advance.
Max.
[/quote]

Transparency is a pain in the rear. You can get a somewhat type of transparency through Device>Renderstate SourceBlend and DesitnationBlend. Depending on what your looking to do, the rendering order (sorting back to front) will need to be taken into consideration.

if your just looking to render a texture that has part of the image cut out (no background) you can use SetRenderState( D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, TRUE);

Just remember to turn it off when your not using it.

Hope this helps,

Dj