Sign in to follow this  
Kealthes

OpenGL Using 3ds Max and OpenGL

Kealthes    96
Heey guys,

I am kinda new to graphics and game programming and my question is pretty simple. We need to make a 3d model of our school and decided to make use of opengl and 3ds max. But is it possible to use 3ds max models in opengl? Can it be done with the help of Maxscript, in that case I am prepared to learn maxscript. How do professional game developers do that?
I know this question has been asked in previous topics, but these are all outdated and the answers are not very straight to the point. That's why I am asking again.

Thanks for your help.

Kealthes    96
I know 3ds max can export to several different formats, but how are these to be used with opengl? I don't think opengl can open any of these files (or can it?). That's why I was wondering what the use of maxscript was in all of this.

BitMaster    8651
OpenGL is a rendering API. A rendering API does not deal with specific file formats, that would be task of a game engine, a scene manager or an utility library. There should be plenty of loaders out there which can load 3ds files to produce information that can be sent to OpenGL. Alternatively, Maxscript could be used to write custom mesh information which could be loaded by the program without implementing a complete 3ds loader or linking a library to do that job.

BitMaster    8651
[quote name='Kealthes' timestamp='1307374391' post='4820111']
So, would you recommend Maxscript then?
[/quote]

I have not used Maxscript for ages and don't remember much from it. Considering you sound like a beginner, I would advise against the double problem of implementing a writer in Maxscript and a corresponding loader in another language. I don't know to what formats 3ds exports to nowadays but there should be an option for something simple like [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavefront_.obj_file"]Wavefront obj files[/url]. Writing a loader from scratch for that should be simpler if you don't have other alternatives, after all the format is a readable text file.

AndyEsser    394
As BitMaster said OpenGL is for rendering only, it is your responsibility to load the data from whatever source you want. Maxscript is not a solution to this, Maxscript is for use within 3DS Max.

My suggestion would be to export as .OBJ (Wavefront Obj File) and use a prebuilt importer (there are hundreds on the web).

Kealthes    96
I just found a very usefull site:
[url="http://openglsamples.sourceforge.net/projects/index.php/blog/index/"]http://openglsamples.sourceforge.net/projects/index.php/blog/index/[/url]

this contains all the tutorials I guess. Thanks for your help anyway guys.!

ryan20fun    2635
why was my posts knocked down ? knocking down peoples posts does nothing to motivate them to look into solving the problem, in actual fact it makes them stear away from helping you. just ignore the post, and the person might read a few docs and do some research into the subject.

BitMaster    8651
While I did not personally vote your posts down, your first post did not contain any relevant information while your second post contained nothing but a wrong assumption. The aim for a technical discussion should be to have the maximum amount of signal with the minimum amount of noise and unfortunately all you added was noise. As a rule, outside the Lounge I would advise against commenting on something of which you only have a very vague idea. People who actually know about the topic generally take it badly if you mention faulty information or half-truths.

AndyEsser    394
Again I did not vote you down; however I would refrain on speculating on subjects you have no/little knowledge about. For instance, I don't comment in DirectX as I have never used it.

Rate downs say nothing about you, it's an indication of how useful people find your post. In this instance, your 2nd post provided no value to the discussion.

Aks9    1499
First of all I have to say that I don't like this "Facebook appearance" of GameDev, and "like/dislike" stuff.

Should we really play social networking also on this forum? :(

But, let's be more practical...

[quote name='Kealthes' timestamp='1307370981' post='4820091']We need to make a 3d model of our school and decided to make use of opengl and 3ds max.[/quote]

This is a very unwise decision if you are not experts in 3DS Max. If you don't have any particular reason to use MAX, I would suggest you to use Google SketchUp.

[quote name='Kealthes' timestamp='1307370981' post='4820091']But is it possible to use 3ds max models in opengl?[/quote]

You cannot use any 3D format directly from the OpenGL. The only way is to export the model into some well known 3D format, find and download (or develop) loading library, and load the model into your GL scene. MAX format is a proprietary file format so it is hardly that you can use it for the models. 3DS is more common, but old and not very useful format. I would recommend COLLADA. All 3D programs nowadays can export into COLLADA.

[quote name='Kealthes' timestamp='1307370981' post='4820091']Can it be done with the help of Maxscript, in that case I am prepared to learn maxscript.[/quote]

Forget about MaxScript. It is used to automate and procedurally control processes from the MAX.

[quote name='Kealthes' timestamp='1307370981' post='4820091']How do professional game developers do that?[/quote]

Professionals do use MAX, Maya, Poser and similar programs, but...

1. you are not professionals

2. you don't have complex characters with complex kinematic chains

3. you just have to model a building

So, my humble advice is to stick with SketchUp or some similar program, model your building, add textures, export to COLLADA file format, download COLLADA loading library (FCollada, Collada-DOM, ...), learn how to use OpenGL (this is the most significant and the most complex topic), load and display the building.