Using 3ds Max and OpenGL

Started by
14 comments, last by Aks9 12 years, 10 months ago
I just found a very usefull site:
http://openglsamples.sourceforge.net/projects/index.php/blog/index/

this contains all the tutorials I guess. Thanks for your help anyway guys.!
Advertisement
why was my posts knocked down ? knocking down peoples posts does nothing to motivate them to look into solving the problem, in actual fact it makes them stear away from helping you. just ignore the post, and the person might read a few docs and do some research into the subject.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

While I did not personally vote your posts down, your first post did not contain any relevant information while your second post contained nothing but a wrong assumption. The aim for a technical discussion should be to have the maximum amount of signal with the minimum amount of noise and unfortunately all you added was noise. As a rule, outside the Lounge I would advise against commenting on something of which you only have a very vague idea. People who actually know about the topic generally take it badly if you mention faulty information or half-truths.
I did not vote down your post...
Again I did not vote you down; however I would refrain on speculating on subjects you have no/little knowledge about. For instance, I don't comment in DirectX as I have never used it.

Rate downs say nothing about you, it's an indication of how useful people find your post. In this instance, your 2nd post provided no value to the discussion.
First of all I have to say that I don't like this "Facebook appearance" of GameDev, and "like/dislike" stuff.

Should we really play social networking also on this forum? :(

But, let's be more practical...

We need to make a 3d model of our school and decided to make use of opengl and 3ds max.

This is a very unwise decision if you are not experts in 3DS Max. If you don't have any particular reason to use MAX, I would suggest you to use Google SketchUp.

But is it possible to use 3ds max models in opengl?

You cannot use any 3D format directly from the OpenGL. The only way is to export the model into some well known 3D format, find and download (or develop) loading library, and load the model into your GL scene. MAX format is a proprietary file format so it is hardly that you can use it for the models. 3DS is more common, but old and not very useful format. I would recommend COLLADA. All 3D programs nowadays can export into COLLADA.

Can it be done with the help of Maxscript, in that case I am prepared to learn maxscript.

Forget about MaxScript. It is used to automate and procedurally control processes from the MAX.

How do professional game developers do that?

Professionals do use MAX, Maya, Poser and similar programs, but...

1. you are not professionals

2. you don't have complex characters with complex kinematic chains

3. you just have to model a building

So, my humble advice is to stick with SketchUp or some similar program, model your building, add textures, export to COLLADA file format, download COLLADA loading library (FCollada, Collada-DOM, ...), learn how to use OpenGL (this is the most significant and the most complex topic), load and display the building.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement