Need some help with physics.

Started by
3 comments, last by Supernovae 12 years, 10 months ago
Hello

I'm very new to coding and i have this grand plan. My plan now is to create a solar system out of supernovae explosion. I know this will be very difficult to simulate, but i will get there eventually.

Thing is, i was thinking about getting some ready made code, so i do not have to do everything by my self. Is there any open source physics library that offers accurate gravity calculations etc.. Some sort of ready made code that calculates basic physics. It is very important that it would be very accurate.

Language i use is: c++

Thank you for reading.
Advertisement
Yes, open source physics engines do exist, the most common is probaly ODE, which does in fact implement gravity, but is ultimately a friction based system, the other most common systems are Physx and Havok, neither of which is open source but I believe both have a 'free' edition.

The problem is, modelling the physics of a supernova is so very far from what these systems are intended to do. You may be able to start here but frankly if you aren't a nuclear physicist or similar, your going to have one hell of a time wrapping your head around the mathematics. Hell, I sure as hell wouldn't be able to help you further than pointing you at those resources. Start with the last link, it's probably your best bet.

Yes, open source physics engines do exist, the most common is probaly ODE, which does in fact implement gravity, but is ultimately a friction based system, the other most common systems are Physx and Havok, neither of which is open source but I believe both have a 'free' edition.

The problem is, modelling the physics of a supernova is so very far from what these systems are intended to do. You may be able to start here but frankly if you aren't a nuclear physicist or similar, your going to have one hell of a time wrapping your head around the mathematics. Hell, I sure as hell wouldn't be able to help you further than pointing you at those resources. Start with the last link, it's probably your best bet.

Yes, this will be difficult project. Thanks for your reply, i will check that link.
Be sure to check out the Bullet engine too at http://bulletphysics.org , it's completely free and open source

I must say that a very accurate real-time simulation of a supernova explosion is as good as impossible to do, and physics engines like these are not really made for calculations on such a huge scale with such extreme forces and conditions, saying 'this is going to be difficult' is a serious understatement, and I would very much advise you to reconsider your project goal

I gets all your texture budgets!

Be sure to check out the Bullet engine too at http://bulletphysics.org , it's completely free and open source

I must say that a very accurate real-time simulation of a supernova explosion is as good as impossible to do, and physics engines like these are not really made for calculations on such a huge scale with such extreme forces and conditions, saying 'this is going to be difficult' is a serious understatement, and I would very much advise you to reconsider your project goal

Maybe both of you are right. I'm going to change plan to make realistic solar system according to physics containing main sequence star, planets, moons etc...

Thank you for the link.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement