VC++ Include directories won't work

Started by
4 comments, last by Sneftel 12 years, 10 months ago
Using visual c++ 2010 express, created a new win32 console project. Added C:\Dev\Common to projects include path, the compiler then cannot find any files in the include path. If I reference them directly it works fine (example C:\Dev\Common\array.h) but doing just "array.h" doesn't work, compiler gives me error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'array.h': No such file or directory

I have tried using <array.h> instead of "array.h" and still does the same thing.

The insane part of all of this is I have another project in the solution that is using the EXACT SAME INCLUDE DIRECTORY AND FILES and it works just fine, WTF!!! Things like this drive me insane, wasting even a minute on this is a total waste of time, anyone have any recommendations? I am about ready to throw my keyboard through the window...
Advertisement
You sure you added the include path for both release and debug builds?
yep, im going to try to create an entirely new solution now...
ok creating a new solution and new project doesn't work either, i have no idea why the first solution with the first project is working and no others with the exact same files and include directory settings.

another thing i discovered, when right clicking on the file in the editor, it does find and open the file just fine.
Found the solution, after changing the Include Directories property you have to unload and reload the entire solution for it to pickup any changes, only doing a rescan on the solution doesn't work. Wow! Yet another reason I hate VS2010...

Found the solution, after changing the Include Directories property you have to unload and reload the entire solution for it to pickup any changes, only doing a rescan on the solution doesn't work. Wow! Yet another reason I hate VS2010...

I've never had to do reload the solution OR "rescan" it.... are you making your changes through the properties window, or directly to the vcxproj file?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement