Managed DirectX and XNA

Started by
5 comments, last by beatlefan 12 years, 9 months ago
I downloaded a DirectX SDK to learn it in C++.
But I saw that there was something called managed DirectX which can be written in C# using Microsoft.Direct.* namespaces.

So what is the difference between manager DirectX and XNA?
Advertisement
Managed Direct X is out of development and was just replaced by the XNA framework
[size="2"]Java / C# Developer
Wasn't MDX removed from the SDK years ago? What SDK did you download?
MDX is deprecated, if you want to use D3D directly in C# you should use SDX. XNA is a higher level abstraction layer built on top of D3D.
(wikipedia is your friend)
XNA removed the need to do most of the DirectX specific code. You no longer have to initalize devices and parameters and what not. It handles all messy code involved with loading images, input, sound, etc. If you're just starting out, I can't think of a good reason to use SlimDX over XNA. Likewise, using XNA will be much less complicated vs. straight DirectX. You will spend a lot of time just getting up a blank screen in C++. With XNA you can have stuff moving on the screen in a few minutes.

XNA removed the need to do most of the DirectX specific code. You no longer have to initalize devices and parameters and what not. It handles all messy code involved with loading images, input, sound, etc. If you're just starting out, I can't think of a good reason to use SlimDX over XNA. Likewise, using XNA will be much less complicated vs. straight DirectX. You will spend a lot of time just getting up a blank screen in C++. With XNA you can have stuff moving on the screen in a few minutes.

You are right that I was unable to get even a blank screen in C++.

I know the basics of XNA. I have created a game in that.
If MDX is deprecated, then shall I start with SlimDX?
Can anyone give me the link to download it?

What is Direct3D? Is it DirectX or something different?

Can anyone give me the link to download it?

Google is your friend.

What is Direct3D? Is it DirectX or something different?

Direct3D is a part of DirectX.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement