3D MMORPG makers for newbies?

Started by
63 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 12 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I'm completely new to everything (video game making and this site), but I wanted to make a MMORPG in 3D where you can move via keys instead of the mouse. I've been looking around for programs for newbies that might be able to do what I want, but they all seem to be for click-and-move single-player games, shooter games, or 2D games. Since I'm so new to everything, I'd want any scripting/programming to be in a language easy for beginners to learn.
Advertisement

Hi, I'm completely new to everything (video game making and this site), but I wanted to make a MMORPG in 3D where you can move via keys instead of the mouse. I've been looking around for programs for newbies that might be able to do what I want, but they all seem to be for click-and-move single-player games, shooter games, or 2D games. Since I'm so new to everything, I'd want any scripting/programming to be in a language easy for beginners to learn.

I dont really think there will be anything of this scale for "newbies", once you start to break into anything MMORPG its going down a very very long road.

Are you actually interested in the Massive part of MMO?
If not you could look into using some engines like the UDK (Unreal development kit), but it will take a lot of work to make that into a RPG.

You could check for source forge but I couldn't find anything that fit your criteria with the searching I did, but good luck!
Yes, I am interested in the "Massive" portion. If the game gets very popular, which I hope it would, I still want it to be stable and everything. I want it to be designed for "massive" amounts of people from the start.

If not on a scale for complete newbies, then the easiest to use program would be nice.

Yes, I am interested in the "Massive" portion. If the game gets very popular, which I hope it would, I still want it to be stable and everything. I want it to be designed for "massive" amounts of people from the start.

If not on a scale for complete newbies, then the easiest to use program would be nice.

MMORPGs are probably the most difficult, the most expensive and the largest games to build and maintain, creating one would take a lot of experience, knowledge and funds, and would be as good as impossible to do on your own

If you are serious about wanting to create a game, then start small and simple, learn how to program and learn all the basic concepts, then when you have your years of experience you can try to tackle that MMORPG project

I gets all your texture budgets!

[quote name='juicypuffin' timestamp='1307481882' post='4820696']

MMORPGs are probably the most difficult, the most expensive and the largest games to build and maintain, creating one would take a lot of experience, knowledge and funds, and would be as good as impossible to do on your own

If you are serious about wanting to create a game, then start small and simple, learn how to program and learn all the basic concepts, then when you have your years of experience you can try to tackle that MMORPG project
[/quote]

I'm not working on this on my own, but we're all just as inexperienced. I don't want to make other games before I try to make this one, and I don't want half-heartedly made games lying around just to create experience, I would rather put all my effort into this and gain experience while still (slowly) progressing on my game project.

I don't need the "general advice for people who don't understand how much work a game project would take", but thank you anyway.
I'm not working on this on my own, but we're all just as inexperienced. I don't want to make other games before I try to make this one, and I don't want half-heartedly made games lying around just to create "experience". What use is getting to know one program, one programming language, and one target audience amount when the actual game you want to make is entirely different in all aspects?

If you're not going to post anything helpful, and instead just post something discouraging that you probably post to all beginners, then please ignore that urge and not say it instead.

I am not saying it to discourage you, I'm saying it to give you an idea of what to expect when you are new to game development

Saying "I have no experience at all in game development, but I want to make a full-blown 3D MMORPG" is like saying "I've never constructed anything in my life, but I want to build a skyscraper"
A lot of game concepts which exist in simple games also apply to more complex games, and mastering these concepts is essential, so simple games are a perfect way of learning
You will need a very good grasp on general programming, and you'll need to master the language you're going to write the game with to manage a project of such proportions

Nobody can stop your from attempting to write this thing, but you can be sure that this project will end in frustration

I'm not going to say any more, it's up to you to decide if you want to follow this advice or not

I gets all your texture budgets!

Here are some threads you may find of interest.

http://www.devmaster.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13272
http://www.devmaster.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11656
I trust exceptions about as far as I can throw them.

[quote name='juicypuffin' timestamp='1307488361' post='4820725']I'm not working on this on my own, but we're all just as inexperienced. I don't want to make other games before I try to make this one, and I don't want half-heartedly made games lying around just to create "experience". What use is getting to know one program, one programming language, and one target audience amount when the actual game you want to make is entirely different in all aspects?

If you're not going to post anything helpful, and instead just post something discouraging that you probably post to all beginners, then please ignore that urge and not say it instead.

I am not saying it to discourage you, I'm saying it to give you an idea of what to expect when you are new to game development

Saying "I have no experience at all in game development, but I want to make a full-blown 3D MMORPG" is like saying "I've never constructed anything in my life, but I want to build a skyscraper"
A lot of game concepts which exist in simple games also apply to more complex games, and mastering these concepts is essential, so simple games are a perfect way of learning
You will need a very good grasp on general programming, and you'll need to master the language you're going to write the game with to manage a project of such proportions

Nobody can stop your from attempting to write this thing, but you can be sure that this project will end in frustration

I'm not going to say any more, it's up to you to decide if you want to follow this advice or not
[/quote]

As you can see, I changed my reply shortly after posting it, I'm not sure if that edit showed up to you or not but I had worded some things badly and edited it after some thought.

Believe me, there's no need for comparisons, I know very well how big a project it is. I'd be exactly the same way if what I wanted was to build a skyscraper, I'd rather start learning the most related things to that and start making my first simple blueprints for it than to start by building five sheds in my backyard. It might not sound like what you would do, but that's just how I work.

How can anyone be sure how any project will emotionally end? You don't know what makes me frustrated or not, nor do you know how the work is going to go. I'm not saying everything's going to go smoothly, but despite what you think you're being negative instead of realistic.

Here are some threads you may find of interest.

http://www.devmaster...ead.php?t=13272
http://www.devmaster...ead.php?t=11656

Thanks! I'll make sure to read the ones linked too.

EDIT: Actually, I don't need anything like this. I already know all the details of my gameworld, storyline, team jobs, advertising, et cetera. I just have to know the technical aspects of it so I can actually create a game instead of sitting around thinking about creating one.

[quote name='Radikalizm' timestamp='1307488014' post='4820723']
[quote name='juicypuffin' timestamp='1307481882' post='4820696']

[/quote]

I'm not working on this on my own, but we're all just as inexperienced. I don't want to make other games before I try to make this one, and I don't want half-heartedly made games lying around just to create experience, I would rather put all my effort into this and gain experience while still (slowly) progressing on my game project.

I don't need the "general advice for people who don't understand how much work a game project would take", but thank you anyway.
[/quote]

If you're looking for shortcuts you don't have that much to choose from
Hero Engine is probably the best option out there, its license costs are quite high though unless you go with the HeroCloud service ($0 starting fee but then it costs 30% of your revenue in royalties) (Hero Engine is used for Biowares upcoming Starwars MMO so its definitly capable of delivering).

An easier but far more restrictive and less scalable (unless you go with the professional edition that is currently in beta it doesn't scale at all and won't support a massive number of players) would be Realmcrafter.

If neither of those is good enough then you're pretty much forced to make your own. (This is hard enough if you go the easy route realmcrafter did and do your scaling through zones and instances, more flexible solutions would require a fairly solid understanding of distributed simulations and is not something i'd recommend you attempt as a beginner)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Okay, to possibly make this more simple:

3D (Can the program work with 3D? Yes.)
MMORPG (I mean this as in "can the game be made to handle having that many people playing it at once? Yes.")
Basic graphics (unless something like this isn't basic: http://i56.tinypic.com/2zi7vio.jpg )
Learning programming isn't a problem, however I would want the programming language to be easier to use if possible. I don't want to be using Assembly to script the game. For example, the scripting you can use for Eclipse ( http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/eclipse/ ) is easy to understand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement