3D MMORPG makers for newbies?

Started by
63 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 12 years, 10 months ago

For you guys who still don't even get what I'm trying to say in this discussion, I'm not saying "this is a good reply! delete all the other ones, I'm the ruler around here and decide such things!"
I'm saying, if any of you wanted to be helpful to the OP with the questions at hand, that's the type of response that actually is useful to him.
The only reason I'm saying any of this at all is because some of you guys were treating the OP in such a strange way.

The recent replies are more relevant to the topic as far as I can see.

In general, staying on topic is likely to be more helpful than not to. That was my point. It's also in the FAQ for this forum.

Then please actually stop acting like you're the ruler of this thread, we have all the best interests in mind for the OP even if you think our answers are 'strange'

And as far as I know this thread never went off-topic, just because we're saying things you or the OP don't like to hear doesn't mean that it's off-topic

I gets all your texture budgets!

Advertisement

Then please actually stop acting like you're the ruler of this thread, we have all the best interests in mind for the OP even if you think our answers are 'strange'

And as far as I know this thread never went off-topic, just because we're saying things you or the OP don't like to hear doesn't mean that it's off-topic

YOU'RE NOT SAYING ANYTHING ANYONE DOESN'T LIKE TO HEAR. I'm not a flaming little n00b.

I'm not acting like that, you're getting the wrong idea. From the start I've just been trying to tell the people who were thumbing down the OP for no reason at all WHY they were acting strangely, i.e. trying to explain why their replies weren't HELPING THE OP, and thus why it's not strange that he wouldn't have much use of their advice.

Please do explain to me why it was perfectly fine for people to behave like that to the OP, but it's not at all okay for me to say "hey, what are you doing?" when the OP is being treated unfairly.

COME ON, people.

We got your point about one and a half page ago. I think I remember the OP having asked us to stop fighting. We get it, we we're not helpful, thanks, we fixed ourselves. But at this point, you are just trolling, so can you please stop?[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]
[/font]

"Trolling" would mean that I was doing this for fun, which sadly is not the case. But I'm definitely not doing something good, as I'm spamming up the thread with my replies that aren't helpful to the OP's original question, although they were all an attempt to be helpful to the OP (as he was being treated unfairly). I know all of this already, yes.

I'd have stopped long ago if I'd heard that the people arguing with me on this got the point.

[quote name='fyrkant' timestamp='1307572351' post='4821115']
For you guys who still don't even get what I'm trying to say in this discussion, I'm not saying "this is a good reply! delete all the other ones, I'm the ruler around here and decide such things!"
I'm saying, if any of you wanted to be helpful to the OP with the questions at hand, that's the type of response that actually is useful to him.
The only reason I'm saying any of this at all is because some of you guys were treating the OP in such a strange way.

The recent replies are more relevant to the topic as far as I can see.

In general, staying on topic is likely to be more helpful than not to. That was my point. It's also in the FAQ for this forum.

[/quote]

Some replies in here definitely were off-topic, even if I managed to keep the actual thread intact.

Does anyone know the royalty restrictions, licensing, OS restrictions, et cetera for the programs I haven't already found out about?:

If anyone's interested, I Emailed HeroEngine and they told me that their end-result games are only compatible on Windows but Macintosh and iOS support should be out later this year (in case anyone else was looking into them). If your team is twenty-five people or smaller, they keep 30% of revenue (if you make your game free, they don't charge you anything either) from the game but give you their software and control your servers for "free". If you have a larger team, you don't have to pay revenue and you can use your own servers but a license cost could possibly run up to hundreds of thousands of dollars, according to some comments on this forum. You have to use your own graphics and everything, but they have some basics there you can use for reference.

EDIT: Unity can be run on both Windows and Macintosh, and the end-result games can be played on either platform (unsure about Linux/Ubuntu/etc.) and games can also be make for computers, online, handhelds, or consoles. Haven't yet found if they charge you anything.

UDK can make games on/for(?) Windows or iOS. It's free if you're using it for education or making a non-commercial game. If you make a game you're going to make money off of, you have to pay $99 US up-front, and then after your game makes over $50,000 you have to give them 25% royalty on whatever future money you make from it.

Realmcrafter hasn't answered my Email yet.
Ok, this thread is slowly becoming a complete train wreak so it's being closed;

OP - if you wish to open another with some specific questions about software raised here or more advice feel free.

fyrkant - your replies in this thread have not been helpful and have only served to derail the thread further. While the others might not have been giving advice you consider 'worth while' the fact remains they were giving advice on the topic at hand aka making an MMO. In future please don't feel the need to reply to every reply you consider 'bad' and point it out, it only serves to derail things and doesn't help in the slightest.

Everyone else; while the advice was on topic I would point out that after the first few people have pointed out how hard it is and the OP has noted this fact there is little point in flogging that dead horse any further so please consider in future if you are just repeating already given advice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement