The new guy says Hello!

Started by
8 comments, last by JeremyYox 12 years, 10 months ago
Hi,

Since I'm new to all this I wanted to introduce myself; I'll likely be skulking around here a lot in the coming weeks/months/years.

While I started out my college education in computer science I eventually decided to skip all that and go into an art field(perhaps not the best choice).
Though I love working in visual effects, I feel like I'd find more satisfaction going back into programming.

I know my way around C++ and a little bit of Python. My best guess was to hit the ground running and mod games through the Source SDK or start with SDL.
I'm interested in the graphics end of programming (and all the excess mathematics it requires), but I'm probably most interested in AI programming.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated. Particularly if you've used the Source SDK.
Also, the faq recommends C# for beginners. Even though I'm not quite a beginner, would this still make sense?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Hi,

Since I'm new to all this I wanted to introduce myself; I'll likely be skulking around here a lot in the coming weeks/months/years.

While I started out my college education in computer science I eventually decided to skip all that and go into an art field(perhaps not the best choice).
Though I love working in visual effects, I feel like I'd find more satisfaction going back into programming.

I know my way around C++ and a little bit of Python. My best guess was to hit the ground running and mod games through the Source SDK or start with SDL.
I'm interested in the graphics end of programming (and all the excess mathematics it requires), but I'm probably most interested in AI programming.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated. Particularly if you've used the Source SDK.
Also, the faq recommends C# for beginners. Even though I'm not quite a beginner, would this still make sense?

Thanks!

Hey! I'm a 14 year old! I know a bit of C# and a little bit of Mac Basic. I also know a mix of the others (JavaScript, C++, etc). I'll be hanging around here as well, and making some indie games as well to improve my game making skills and my resume.
Welcome!

C# is a great language to either start as a first language or to pick up later. It is high level and with the introduction of XNA it is rather easy to make simple games. I too am interested in the AI field and not just in games. AI is a very complicated path to follow (I have just scratched the surface myself) because it is still relatively new (some concepts are well published) but also if you do not have a strong math background (like me) it is even more complicated because AI is very heavy in the mathematics. Either way I am in no way saying don't follow this path if you do not have a math background, I was just giving a little insight to the field.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

Welcome here to you two :)
---------------------------------
FAR Colony http://farcolony.blogspot.com/
Heyas
Welcome to the never ending quest for a computer game!

Remember: Procrastination will.... meh, ill remember the rest of this later

Yours Truly
K
Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.Unknown
Welcome to the forums!

(I wish I started making games when I was 14)

Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.

Hi, I'm new here myself. Been programming with the whole C family (C, C++, C#) for a bit now and starting to get my feet wet with Python, Java and VB.NET. By NO means does that constitute that I know what I'm doing though, haha!

Currently I'm working on a degree in Digital Media - Video Game Design at the college (a 32-year-old junior, decided I don't like my current job in real estate and want to do something fun in life) so I'll be nosing around here as well. Nice to meet you. Hopefully we can shoot some ideas back and forth to our mutual benefit.

I don't like my current job

I recommend you don't say that again. Better way to spin it: "I would prefer to work in games."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='FirstApple' timestamp='1307650453' post='4821460']
I don't like my current job

I recommend you don't say that again. Better way to spin it: "I would prefer to work in games."
[/quote]

If you would prefer that way of stating it, that's fine and true too. Just after 11 years of commercial real estate appraisal work, I've come to the conclusion that life has to have more enjoyment in it from the things that a person does every day. I'm good at appraisal work but I don't exactly wake up jumping up and down for joy that I get to appraise yet another office or apartment complex. On the other hand, I program for fun. I play games for fun. So I have decided that I want to program games for fun and actually get paid to do it. Thanks for the comment though, I appreciate it.

Hi,

-snip-

-snip-

Thanks!

Welcome to the club, I'm new myself, currently struggling to learn C++ (I say struggling because its a frustrating battle of forgetting just as quickly as I learn!). Its fun and challenging so far. I'm probably the least qualified person to give advice on what to do, but I'd recommend that if you're already comfortable with C++ to stick with it and learn the finer details by applying them toward small projects in game design. Everyone says C# is easier to pick up as a first language, and so far as they've stated C++ is giving me no end of trouble (Only working it as my future classes teach it and its more an attempt to familiarize with it than anything).

The reason as I understand it that C# is recommended to newcomers is because it is easier to grasp the concepts and the FAQ assumes no prior knowledge of C++ and accounts for its difficult learning curve, which you may already have overcome. Again, I'm new myself so don't commit based on anything you hear me say - but in the end I've seen that both languages have a lot of similarities and whichever you choose can get your foot firmly in the door.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement