• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GaryPolter

Line integrals

This topic is 2568 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was reading a paper on screen space ambient occlusion used in the Toy Story 3 video game ( http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2010/index.html ) and they say "We use line integrals, which allow us to sample in 2D rather than 3D". What exactly does this mean? Can you guys provide me with a very straightforward example?

Thanks!

Advertisement
I think it means that they are trying to determine what fraction of the sphere is in front of the geometry drawn, and they do that by taking a 2D grid of segments in the z direction and checking what fraction of the points in those segments is in front of the geometry drawn. For each segment you just need to check the z buffer at one pixel to get your answer. I believe that's what they are talking about.

In other words, in order to compute a triple integral, you discretize the x and y coordinates and look at it as a sum of line integrals.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!