Sign in to follow this  
XDaWNeDX

what size tiles to use?

XDaWNeDX    113
I program game's in allegro... Er, rather I'm programming A game in allegro but never-the-less.

I was using 32x32 tiles with 'P' or 'M' or 'N' etc drawn on them for player/monster/NPC. But I want to start getting graphics implemented. Like, REAL graphics.

What's the best tilesize to use? I`d assume 64x64 would be best, as it`s not a huge bitmap, but provides enough space to get some details drawn in.

Rodimus    131
I don't know what allegro is, but tile size doesn't really matter. depends on what game you are making. Don't choose 64x64 just because they're bigger. Why do you want to use it? Does certain features require that level of detail?

JTippetts    12970
I recommend you design your system so that it can use tiles of various sizes. Some things, such as small little bits of rubble on the ground, small jars, stones, etc... might need only 32x32, while other things such as terrain tiles might be better done with larger tile sizes such as 256x256, in order to reduce the amount of on-screen repetition. Sure, you can decompose a larger tile into smaller tiles, then draw the larger tile as a cluster of smaller ones, but it is probably easier to just build an engine that supports multiple tile sizes.

XDaWNeDX    113
[quote name='Rodimus' timestamp='1307567829' post='4821088']
I don't know what allegro is, but tile size doesn't really matter. depends on what game you are making. Don't choose 64x64 just because they're bigger. Why do you want to use it? Does certain features require that level of detail?
[/quote]

It's a graphics API...

[quote name='JTippetts' timestamp='1307568977' post='4821096']
I recommend you design your system so that it can use tiles of various sizes. Some things, such as small little bits of rubble on the ground, small jars, stones, etc... might need only 32x32, while other things such as terrain tiles might be better done with larger tile sizes such as 256x256, in order to reduce the amount of on-screen repetition. Sure, you can decompose a larger tile into smaller tiles, then draw the larger tile as a cluster of smaller ones, but it is probably easier to just build an engine that supports multiple tile sizes.
[/quote]

Making the engine support multiple sizes would be difficult for a novice like me. Although all-in-all, a simple task I'd assume. In order to properly implement it though, I'd need a map maker to visualize the map better than a notepad... I'll go with 64x64 I guess. For this game at least, for next games I'll make multiple sizes.