Most satisfying game you've played and why

Started by
18 comments, last by sizzle 12 years, 10 months ago
I've seen people ask about most addictive games, most immersive games, best of various genres and subgenres. But it occurred to me I've never seen a discussion of what games were the most satisfying. The ones where you finished the game and either sat back with a smug grin, or jumped up and did a happy dance. The ones you'd recommend to a friend as something that would be an all-around good experience to play.

So what games have you been the most satisfied with, and why?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Wonder Boy in Monster Land

I used to play this game a lot on the arcade machines when it came out. At that time I was around 10 years old and the actual motivation for going to school was passing by the gallery on the way back home to play it.
That game brought me endless hours of entertainment for little money. It was (among with others) a game that could totally fire my imagination up and take me out of a tedious routine into a world of funny monsters that needed being killed by my legendary sword.

Looking back I see now that for a kid (and maybe also some adults) entering an arcade machine gallery at that time was like entering to a magic room filled with windows that looked at wonderful places. That game in particular was a very satisfying view to look at. :)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
http://www.sa-mp.com/

Why? GTA sandbox with hundreds of players on persitent servers with custom scripts... Queue epic gang warfare, queue mayhem, queue bounty hunting, queue racing, queue murder, queue flying, queue chasing, queue GTA, but with other players. My most satisfying game experience. Never wanted anything more from it except for its good times to last for ever. Sadly they didn't, sofisticated cheating and expert trolls eventually destroyed the community and the game, but boy did it have some glorious years.
Half-Life and its sequels.

Pick any First-Person Shooter and analyse the protagonist - I reckon he'll be a Marine or some super goverment based bad-ass with guns wired to his teeth. Gordon Freeman is just a regular, he had a pretty bad day at work and now he just happens to be trawling through some science complex keeping himself alive with whatever weaponry he can find. The guy's probably never held a gun before. I can relate, and I love that. He doesn't talk in the game, it's first-person, and he's rarely seen, therefore that's me right there shitting bricks and running around like a headless chicken. Complete immersion.

I love the characters, the story, the Black Mesa vs. Aperture Science thing up in the air, the weapons, the technology, the enemies, the creatures and monsters, the deserted and lonely middle-of-nowhere sections, the familiar chirp of a dead Combine's radio, Dr Breen's face lighting up every screen, the absolutely gorgeous scenery and right down to the very engine it was written with.

...which is why that Timeshift game p**sed me off so much. Ripped off every little piece I loved.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Satisfaction from a game comes in many forms and depends on the game, my mood, and what I'm generally looking for.

But for satisfaction from a game I've played recently, I'm gonna say Burnout 3: Revenge. The obvious thought would be that the satisfaction is from taking out my aggression on other cars, smashing into them and such. But the real feeling of satisfaction, the kind that you have as you're sitting there with a cold beer after a hard day's work, that sensation comes from completing a tough race and getting a perfect rating for it. It's the result of one of those races where you've tried like a dozen times or more and you know you can do it, that perfect rating is totally within reach, if only I can shave off just one or two more seconds I'll have it. And one of the best things is that you get that feeling from more than just one race. You don't have to complete the entire game just to get that sensation.

I felt pretty good when I finished Halo 3 recently. I had been working pretty hard on that game too adrenalin pumping, knowing that the end was within reach, trying countless times to complete an area. I felt quite good and all but for me I think I was getting a better sense of satisfaction from Burnout for some reason. I'm not really sure what it was between the two that gave one a slightly better sense of accomplishment over the other.
For me the game I always felt so great after playing was Jumping Flash! 2. I don't know what was with that game. It was addictive. It was quirky. It was fun. It had a nice atmosphere.

It was just awesome.
Man that is one large list you're talking about :P, but to answer this line:

The ones where you finished the game and either sat back with a smug grin, or jumped up and did a happy dance. The ones you'd recommend to a friend as something that would be an all-around good experience to play.

Metal Gear Sold, hands down. The story, the characters, the codec moments, the hiding, the waiting, the stealth kills, the cut scenes. I must have played that game about 20 times when I bought it (seriously not joking) and played it twice as much every a month or so since I bought it.

The only game where I actually sat through the whole production list after the hero drives to the sun rise on his sky vehicle thingy with his (who ever you saved back there :P).

This is what people usually call "Just Right". Not so hard, definitely not easy :P

I got a large list of games that go with MGS, but I would never take back that I put it as number one :)

Diablo 2 (ITEM HUNTING !!!!)

League of Legends

Minecraft (Stay a while, stay forever...)
[size="2"]Java / C# Developer
The last time I've felt like that was with games like Cave Story, Portal and Braid.

I love short games that can get to the point. I no longer have the time or patience for 1,000 hour epics featuring bland, repetitive gameplay and unnecessarily long, boring stories. There is something delightful about the pure, intense experience of a reasonably short but well made game.
I'm probably forgetting many games, but right now the most satisfying game I can think of may be Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

As for why, I'm not sure I can explain. I remember I had a big smile while I was playing it; thinking "YES!" when you solve a part and giggling like an idiot for no reason. I liked the characters, they weren't overdone and were somewhat believable. The pacing seemed right... I don't know. In this case I guess it's the same reason why you like or hate a book.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement